cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aledeniz
Level 2

IIS Authentication not set and duplicate folders on Windows 2008

We use InstallShield 2009 SP2. In our server configuration, we install a web application ("app") on a virtual directory on the main web site ("web").
On IIS, the web structure looks like this:

• web
  • web/app
  • web/app/reports
  • web/app/resources
  • web/app/logs

On the Directory Security page for the "web" web site, we enable anonymous access and Integrated Windows Authentication (the only other option set in that tab is Allow IIS to control password)..

On the Directory Security page for the "app" virtual directory, anonymous access is not set, but IWA is set. About the other above mentioned web applications, "reports" and "logs" are set like "app" (IWA), "resources" is set to allow anonymous access.

After building and installing, the website get installed, on Windows 2003 x64, everything goes fine, but we get 2 issues on Windows 2008 x64 (not R2 x64, we haven't tested this there yet, and I haven't tested any of this on x86 either):

The Windows authentication is not enabled for "app", and the virtual directory structure get installed wrongly:

• web
  • web/app
  • web/app/app
  • web/app/app/reports
  • web/app/app/resources
  • web/app/app/logs

web/app/app and its children are not even showed as web application, but their icon is that of a linked folder.

Actually I cannot even check the authentication settings of web/app/app and his children, as I ever get an error performing that operation ("configuration section not allowed to be set below application", and it is showing the path to the web.config of "app" web application).

If I then go on C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config and open applicationHost.config, I can found this:

[CODE]

[..]

APP/APP/Reports">

[..]

[..]

APP/APP/Logs">

[..]

APP/APP/Resources">

[..]

APP/APP">

[..]

[/CODE]

If I manually fix that "APP/APP" to APP I get an error on the applicationHost.config, complaining about a Config section already defined, which should appear only once per config file.
If you give a look at the previous snippet, it is because replacing "APP/APP" into APP generates two , so I take away the second one, this time no error message, but nothing has changed on the web structure.

Looking again on applicationHost.config I found another interesting bit of code,

[CODE]

APP" physicalPath="C:\Program Files\Application\Server\Web\" />
APP/Reports" physicalPath="C:\Program Files\Application\Server\Web\Reports\" />
APP/Logs" physicalPath="C:\Program Files\Application\Server\Logs\" />
APP/Resources" physicalPath="C:\Program Files\Application\Server\Web\Resources\" />

[..]
[/CODE]

There I removed all the APP on the virtualDirectory path properties, which then forced me to remove one virtualDirectory element, as again the previous action had resulted to a duplicate, and I finally got the structure showing as expected on IIS.

I have looked for other people having similar issues on the InstallShield fora, but I couldn't find any. I have also looked for patches, but it looks our installation of IS 2009 is the most updated possible.

Are those due bugs on InstallShield?
Is there a way to work them around?

While I know I could work around the authentication issue with InstallScript, I cannot see how I could easily work around the folder duplication issue.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

This behavior may be due to how IIS 7 was supported in IS 2009 and previous versions of InstallShield. This was changed in IS 2010 to build a more correct virtual directory structure for IIS 7.

You may be able to work around this issue by adding a property named "IISPREFERLEGACYOBJECTS" with a value of 1 in the Property Manager. This will use the legacy IIS support to install any IIS resources (also note that this will require that IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility be installed to successfully complete the installation).
0 Kudos