cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
borhunt
Level 3

Hybrid Basic MSI (32 & 64) with Device Drivers - Need Urgent Help

I have a basic MSI project that is a Hybrid with 32-Bit and 64-Bit components and features controlled by a release flag. This works fine.

I also have Device Drivers for both 32 & 64 Bit. The selection in the device driver section only allows either 32bit or amd64 apparently for DIFx.

How do you get both of these device drivers to reside in the same hybrid project and install correctly with the correct platform ?

Has anyone come up with a method either in the installer, in script code, or in VB Script code to install these device drivers from the same base project ?

Thanks for the help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Not applicable

Hello borhunt,

I don't have experience in driver packing, but we can get system processor information through SYSPROCESSORINFO structure.

Hope it can help to you.
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

You can use a single InstallShield Project .ism file but finally you have to create separate .msi packages.
How do you build the setup? You can use the automation interface to set the TemplateSummary and the DeviceDriverSetRedist property (1 for x86; 5 for AMD64) before building.
0 Kudos
borhunt
Level 3

I build the setup for daily builds using the command line interface. I can use the automation to set those template summary variables as you described (I also finally found this description in another posting after hours of searching). This KB needs an intelligent Google search engine!

But I build the installers by hand for testing locally and now I either have to change the driver selection when I change build types or run the command line interface to test. Very time consuming.

This is overly cumbersome and some other method should be devised by the InstallShield developers to remedy this situation. I cannot believe there is no automated work around using release flags that could not be implemented. This was very short sighted on both the Microsoft side (no shock there) and by the InstallShield Development team (I expect better!).

Is there a method of running the DIFx from script to install the drivers manually ? Anyone have some sample code of what the command line should look like and which versions of DIFx are required for win32 and amd64 ?
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

borhunt wrote:
But I build the installers by hand for testing locally and now I either have to change the driver selection when I change build types or run the command line interface to test. Very time consuming.

It´s not simply possible using the InstallShield IDE. For local tests/builds I run a simple VBScript which uses the automation interface to create both MSI packages.

Is there a method of running the DIFx from script to install the drivers manually ? Anyone have some sample code of what the command line should look like and which versions of DIFx are required for win32 and amd64 ?

Do you want to install the driver packages only? Or what do you mean?
0 Kudos
lam1278
Level 6

borhunt wrote:
I build the setup for daily builds using the command line interface. I can use the automation to set those template summary variables as you described (I also finally found this description in another posting after hours of searching). This KB needs an intelligent Google search engine!

This is overly cumbersome and some other method should be devised by the InstallShield developers to remedy this situation. I cannot believe there is no automated work around using release flags that could not be implemented. This was very short sighted on both the Microsoft side (no shock there) and by the InstallShield Development team (I expect better!).

I am still confused - I have the same issue. I have one INF file that targets both 32-bit and 64-bit systems, but using the Device Wizard, I could not figure out how to target multiple OSs.

Giga said I need two MSIs - but one ISM, I am unsure of what that meant.

Could you provide more information to your solution?
0 Kudos
InstallerN00b
Level 3

Hey lam1278, I'm about a year late on this response, but to respond to your question:

Giga said I need two MSIs - but one ISM, I am unsure of what that meant.

Giga is saying that you can configure a single ISM project to build two different flavors of MSI: one for 32bit driver installs and another for 64bit installs.

to your other point:
I have one INF file that targets both 32-bit and 64-bit systems, but using the Device Wizard, I could not figure out how to target multiple OSs.

I also have the same issue. Has anyone out there found a way to do this?! Possibly using IS Premier 2012's Suite feature? I'm desperate!

thanks
0 Kudos