cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LLeeGM
Level 3

How to suppress dialog when launching from command line

Hello,

We've been using InstallShield Express for a while here but have never had to use the command line options before; however, a need has arisen where I need to launch it via command line so that I can supply the installation directory. I have the command line setup correctly (I believe) and the installation runs fine but at the start I am seeing a dialog box from the InstallShield Wizard showing what command line parameters I can use.

My command line is:

setup.exe /v"/q INSTALLDIR="c:\program files""

Is the dialog appearing because the command line is not setup correctly?:confused:

If the command line is correct then how I can suppress the dialog from appearing?:confused:

Thanks in advance for any help!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
LLeeGM
Level 3

Further to this, I just ran this on another laptop and the dialog didn't appear on there. Both laptops that I've run this on are Windows XP Service Pack 3 - yet one has this dialog appear and the other doesn't when using the exact same set of files, just different installation locations being fed in on the command line.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
LLeeGM
Level 3

After more testing, I may have been wrong about it running as it should. I'm thinking the command line isn't correct - could someone tell me how to correctly pass in the installation directory?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

If you see that dialog box that lists available command-line options, it probably means that there's a problem with the command-line syntax.

It's necessary to place a backslash (\) in front of any quotation mark that resides within existing quotes. The embedded quotation marks are necessary because the path includes a space. So perhaps try something like this:
setup.exe /v"/q INSTALLDIR=\"c:\program files\""

The /q option suppresses the Windows Installer UI. To also suppress the Setup.exe dialogs (such as the setup initialization dialog, which is displayed, for example, if Setup.exe is extracting the .msi package), you'll also want to pass the /s parameter to Setup.exe. For example:
setup.exe /v"/q INSTALLDIR=\"c:\program files\"" /s

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
LLeeGM
Level 3

Thanks Debbie - that did the trick; I don't see the command line dialog anymore.

However, now I am seeing the problem that it doesn't like paths with spaces in them. That is, if I specify an installation directory of "C:\Program Files\My Company Name", it is installing the files to "C:\Program" - it stops wherever the first space occurs.

I'm still missing something aren't I?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

It seems like a backslash before a quotation mark may be missing. Can you post the exact command line that you are using?
0 Kudos
LLeeGM
Level 3

It was my fault - I think I was looking at the results of an interim version of my own program which wasn't generating the command line correctly with the necessary backslashes and quotes. It looks like I've got it working now - no dialog and the correct installation directory with all the spaces.

I appreciate all your help!
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Thanks for the update. I'm glad that you have it working!
0 Kudos