cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Pilgrim

How to invoke a Basic MSI installer from another Basic MSI installer silently

Hi,

I need to invoke installer of a Basic MSI installer from another Basic MSI installer silently. For this, in first installer, i created a custom action of type "New exe(path referencing a directory)". I specified the action properties correctly as:

Working directory -> the location where the second installable setup.exe is created beforehand
Filename & Command line -> setup.exe /S /v"/qn"
Return processing -> Synchronous (check exit code)

When I'm running the first installer, i'm getting Error 1721: There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run.... And if i change "Return processing" to any other option, the installation completes successfully, but second installation (silent one) is not done at all.

Also, if i change "Working directory" to System folder and give absolute path for second setup.exe in "Filename & Command line", i start getting Error 1722: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected...

Please provide some assistance to overcome the problem. Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Amit
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Pilgrim

Re: How to invoke a Basic MSI installer from another Basic MSI installer silently

You can't run two basic msi installers concurrently. The windows installer engine will not allow it. The best approach is to uninstall the applications seperately and not within another installation.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

Re: How to invoke a Basic MSI installer from another Basic MSI installer silently

Another way is using "nested msi" type custom action.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

The "nested MSI' custom action type has been deprecated by Microsoft and is not recommended.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

The best solution would probably be to create an InstallShield prerequisite that launches the separate package. You can pass command-line parameters so that the package is launched silently. The help has more information.
0 Kudos