cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Franzw
Level 3

How to install prerequisites without downloading?

Hi.
I'm having my first steps with InstallShield 2012. My objective is to install common prerequisites like .Net and SQL Server Express 2008. BUT, the prerequisites need to be installed without having an Internet connection. I started with Basic MSI.
I have in the Application Data | Redistributables view selected “Extract From Setup”. The project builds ok but when run it, it still tries to download the prerequisites. What is wrong?
Do I need to create a merge module that installs prerequisites?
Do I (somehow) create a SetupPrereq.exe and how would I chain my setups?
I appreciate any guideline. Thanks in advance.

Franz
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
rrinblue22
Level 9

"Extract from Setup" should have done the trick for you.....
you can verify in the Releases folder which is DISk1 and you'll fine the ISSetupPrerequisites folder which should contain your prereq's.......

if you don't find...I would suggest you to try in a new project.....
0 Kudos
Franzw
Level 3

Thanks for replying.
When in the Redistributables view, selecting SQL Server 2008, the folder ISSetupPrerequisites gets filled with the prerequistes for SQL Server 2008, meaning .Net 3.5 and Window Installer 4.5 is downloaded locally too. I get these msu and exe files on my disk. After Build, the setup.exe file is about 2 Mb which seems far too small.
As I'm new to IS and about to evaluate IS 2012, I'm using a trial version. Is this causing all trouble?
Looking forward for comments!
Franz
0 Kudos
Franzw
Level 3

I found the "Release Wizard" and that solved my problem. As said, I'm new to this and didn't see documentation or reminder for this.
Franz
0 Kudos