cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbiddle61
Level 4

How to get uninstall to NOT delete registry entry

As part of my install, I create a key and value in the registry.
In VS2010, I could set a property on each value to not delete the value on uninstall.
There does not seem to be such an option in VS2012.
Is there any way to do this?
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

If I am not wrong,you are trying to mark a registry key as permanent.

Try to use below option by right clicking on the registry key which you have created using registry view of installshield tool:

Install only (+)
If the key does not already exist, it is created. The key is not uninstalled when the feature to which this key belongs is uninstalled. This option is available only for keys that do not contain values.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
jbiddle61
Level 4

You are not correct.
I am not trying to make a KEY permanent, I am trying to make a VALUE permanent.
The UI has no options that I can find to let me leave a VALUE behind during uninstall.
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Unfortunately.it is not possible to make a key VALUE permanent, as advance option in key properties to mark it as permanent(which inturn will make the value in it permanent) will be in disabled mode for installshield Limited edition.

To achieve the required behavior ,kindly upgrade toprofessional or premier edition installshield .

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
jbiddle61
Level 4

I got the behavior I needed by creating the registry value using a VBScript custom action.
Then your installer does not know about it and does not delete it during uninstall.

I write software for a small non-profit.
The software is only ever installed on our terminal server.
I definitely won't be purchasing any version of InstallShield just to get back the functionality that I had in VS2010!
0 Kudos