cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dinesh_redhawk
Level 6

How to get Package Information from Suite Installer during installation?

Hello friends,

I have a situation where i need to know the name of the package that is being installed.

Situation: During Package installation, if any particular package installation fails, then we need to some how get the Package name [preferably in any property], to display an error message "Failed installing [Package 1]: " in the Installation Completed screen

How can i get the Package name in any property which i can use in Installscript? Is there any default property which keeps track of this information.

Please suggest.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
rguggisberg
Level 13

I would set a property (PackageName) for each package using 'Events' at the bottom of of the 'Common' screen on the 'Packages' page.
0 Kudos
dinesh_redhawk
Level 6

rguggisberg wrote:
I would set a property (PackageName) for each package using 'Events' at the bottom of of the 'Common' screen on the 'Packages' page.

Thanks for your response. We thought of this idea initially but discarded it as in my scenario, i need to do it for 89 packages, in that case it will be bit tough...
For smaller suites, its a good soln.

Any other suggestions, people?
Thanks
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Can you use the text string that you probably have for each packages display name?
0 Kudos
dinesh_redhawk
Level 6

rguggisberg wrote:
Can you use the text string that you probably have for each packages display name?

Okay, And how can i use the text string? i mean what should be the logic. The text string will be holding the package name, how i will come to know which package has failed?
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

ok... I see your point. You are still back at having to do that for all 89 projects. 😞
0 Kudos
Not applicable

I haven't tried this myself but IS 2015/2016 have several objects available for inspection which *may* help you resolve this. Search the online help for Object Reference for Expressions in Advanced UI and Suite/Advanced UI Projects.

In particular there is a Parcel Object which has a member called Name which may be what you're after. You'll need the package GUID to get this information though.
0 Kudos