cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DPulaski
Level 3

How to force per-user install?

I need to be able to optionally force my Installshield package to run as a per-user install, to accomodate proper major upgrade from an earlier per-user install from an older version based on Installshield 11.5.

I know that Installshield is supposed to detect if a previous version is per-user or per-machine, and install the new version the same way, but this functionality appears to be totally broken. My new IS2008 package installs Per Machine no matter what, and this is hosing my upgrades from older versions done as per-user.

I've tried passing ALLUSERS value on the command line, and using a custom action to explictly unset ALLUSERS, but it always resorts to ALLUSERS=1 no matter what I do.

So, is there any way to force an Installshield 2008 installer package to install as per-user, or to default to per-user install with a command-line override to per-machine? I've been struggling with this for weeks now and I'm ready to throw Installshield out the window.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Darain
Level 6

Have you tried to uncheck the "Automatically create ISSetAllUsers action" option under Tools->Options->General tab?
0 Kudos
pankajk
Level 2

No matter what I do, the installer always sets ALLUSERS=1. I tried setting it to 2 in Property Manager and MSIINSTALLPERUSER=1 in a hope that it would read the value of MSIINSTALLPERUSER property and reset ALLUSERS to blank value. But it doesn't do so while installing as admin user.
0 Kudos