cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streamlet
Level 5

How to disable Cancel button for just a moment at the end of installation?

As the title, when installing or uninstalling a product, especially when uninstalling, user can cancel the installation, and the installer should do rollback work.

The question is how to perform the uninstallation. One solution is, backup all user data (so that installer could do rollback work) and at the end of uninstallation delete them quickly. Another solution is delete user data directly at the last moment of uninstallation.

In these two mement, user can still click Cancel and cause the rollback progress. But the userdata cannot be restored any more. Is there a method to disable the cancel button - I mean the cancel button on MSI standard UI, not IS dialog.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Perhaps see this old newsletter tip on the subject (PDF): http://www.acresso.com/webdocuments/PDF/disable.pdf.
0 Kudos
Streamlet
Level 5

RobertDickau wrote:
Perhaps see this old newsletter tip on the subject (PDF): http://www.acresso.com/webdocuments/PDF/disable.pdf.

I have read it before.

Sorry, it is of no help. It says using command line "msiexec /i product.msi /qb!". But when product is installed, IS wrote "msiexec /X{PRODUCT_CODE}" in HKLM\Software\Misrosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PRODUCT_CODE\UninstallString automatically. Should I change this behavior? And how to?

Is there a way to disable or hide the button through script?
0 Kudos
Streamlet
Level 5

I have read it before.

Sorry, it is of no help. It says using command line "msiexec /i product.msi /qb!". But when product is installed, IS wrote "msiexec /X{PRODUCT_CODE}" in HKLM\Software\Misrosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PRODUCT_CODE\UninstallString automatically. Should I change this behavior? And how to?

Is there a way to disable or hide the button through script?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

As described in that article, you can also use MsiProcessMessage or Session.Message in a custom action to hide the Cancel button.
0 Kudos
Streamlet
Level 5

RobertDickau wrote:
As described in that article, you can also use MsiProcessMessage or Session.Message in a custom action to hide the Cancel button.

It works! Thanks a lot!

I saw "Disabling the Cancel button for a full-UI installation requires a custom action..." so didn't have a try...sorry~~
0 Kudos