cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PGScannell
Level 3

How to change the base folder

I just copied my project files over to my laptop.  When I initiated a build, the path where everything is going begins with "c:\users\jerry...".  That path works on my desktop but not on my laptop.  It should be "c:\users\PaulG_000...".

How do I change my limited edition installshield to go to the right path?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi PGScannell, You can try changing the base path by navigating to PATH VARIABLES view.Change the path variable value which has your old directory entry to new one. Thanks, Jenifer
0 Kudos

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry for the late reply.  I never got your May 1st reply to my issue.  All this time I was waiting for an eMail confirmation that my case was replied to.

To follow up, you suggested that I go to the "PATH VARIABLES view".  I don 't know where to find that.

Paul

0 Kudos
PGScannell
Level 3

Jennifer,

After some digging, I found the file: TOG_Insp_Setup.isl in the: C:\Users\PaulG_000\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\TOG_Insp\TOG_Insp_Setup folder.

I edited that file and changed all the references to: \Users\Jerry\ to be: \Users\PaulG_000\

I was then able to open up my project in Administrator mode and do a build.  However, there is a problem with the resulting Setup.exe.  When I installed it and ran my application, the resulting application was from 3/12/2019 which was the timestamp for the last time I created a Setup.exe on my desktop.

If I simply do a build in debug mode, the resulting exe is correct.

What else do I need to do?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
PGScannell
Level 3

Jennifer,

Another thing I discovered.  The reason why the resulting exe contained a 3/12/2019 version is because InstallShield used files found in the folder: ...\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\TOG_Insp\TOG_Insp\bin\x86\Release

Those files were creagted on 3/12/2019.  I'm not sure what is going on.

Normally, while developing, I choose the Debug | x86 configuration.  Then, once I'm ready to do a release build, I close VS and re-open it in Administrator mode, then simply do a Build.  I don't remember if I had to change the configuration to Release | x86 first.  So today, I tried to do that, but it couldn't find the files in the release folder.

I then tried to do just a build of my exe and it worked.  I then did a build of the solution (which would initiate the setup creation) and it worked.

So something must be out of whack with my configurations somewhere.  I shoujldn't have to go through this every time I want to create a release.

0 Kudos

HI @PGScannell ,

Correct me if i am wrong,i think you are trying to build with debug configuration and unable to see files under release folder.

It is always better to build end-product application with release configuration.

Since path_variables view might not be available for InstallShield Limited Edition,editing the .isl file would be only way to deal with that.(From your description i could see that been added by you)

Can you try building with release configuration?

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

For some reason, I can't create a setup.exe on my laptop. I got by the
original problem with the isl file pointing to my desktop path by editing
it.

I then tried creating the setup the way I do it on my desktop ( running as
administrator and changing the profile to Release). That did create a
setup.exe, but with a version of my 3/12 program. That was because the
build didn't recreate my base application .exe file. It still was from
3/12. I tried just doing a clean/build but that produced some missing
dlls. So I had to stop at that point.

This entire process works fine on my desktop.

I am a little concerned because I might be replacing my desktop st some
point in the future and I don't know if everything will work.
0 Kudos

Hi @PGScannell ,

Building it in a release configuration with proper folders available in laptop shouldn't create any issue.As well just to make sure nothing gets added can you compare .isl file in desktop and laptop?

Did you give it a try with IsCmdBuild.exe/MSbuild.exe way of building with release flag mentioned?Just to verify the behavior.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos