cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grantman16
Level 2

How to automatically uninstall older versions before installing new one

How can I make InstallShield automatically uninstall any older versions of my program before installing the new one, instead of displaying a dialog that says to uninstall it manually?

I am using InstallShield 2010 LE for Visual Studio.

Thanks!
Grant
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Bineesh
Level 6

If you do majour upgrade it will uninstall old and install new. How the majour upgrade should work you can configure on Media-->Upgrade
For majour upgrade Change Product code and version.
0 Kudos
grantman16
Level 2

Thanks, Bineesh. I'm gonna need some help with that though... I'm new to InstallShield and I can't find a Media->Upgrade. I did, however, find an "Upgrade Paths". Is this what I'm looking for? In case you're not familiar with InstallShield for Visual Studio, here's what I'm looking at:

(click for bigger screenshot)

When I right click on "Upgrade Paths" (left menu tree) and select "New Upgrade Path...", it opens up a dialog to select an MSI or Setup EXE (which I assume would be that of the previous version). I clicked Cancel because I deleted the previous setup (its just a test project anyways), but this is what showed up.

I'm not sure if this is what I'm looking for, but if it is, could you explain this to me? If not, you can see most of the options on the right of the screenshot (what's hidden is Requirements, Custom Actions, and Release, not including stuff that unavailable in the LE edition).

Thanks!!
Grant
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi Grant,

Kindly refer the following post which has a brief description regarding creating an upgrade.

http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?p=457400#post457400

Let us know if you need any more help.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos