cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hanxinyunus
Level 2

How to allocate a redistributables' address, and then install a software in it?

Hello,

How to allocate a redistributables' address, and then install a software in the address at one installer?
My question is as below:
In my package, there are two parts, one is Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 4(MRDS4), I add it in the Redistributables, the other one is "MyProject".

In the installer, it needs to complete two steps:
1. Install MRDS4 in the C:\
2. Install "MyProject" in the MRDS4.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
hanxinyunus
Level 2

I'm online

hanxinyunus wrote:
Hello,

How to allocate a redistributables' address, and then install a software in the address at one installer?
My question is as below:
In my package, there are two parts, one is Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 4(MRDS4), I add it in the Redistributables, the other one is "MyProject".

In the installer, it needs to complete two steps:
1. Install MRDS4 in the C:\
2. Install "MyProject" in the MRDS4.

:confused:
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

If I understand your request, you are simply trying to set the target directory for your merge modules, correct.

If all you have are the two merge modules set your MSI INSTALLDIR to the path you desire. I would not hard code the C:\ path however, use something like WindowsVolume property. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372817(v=vs.85).aspx

Then build your directory from there.

Once you have this property set then you can right click on any Merge Module and change the path from default to INSTALLDIR, providing that you have correctly set the INSTALLDIR default path.

Now let's say you have an installation configuration where you just want MergeModule_A, and MergeModule_B to go to WindowsVolume\MRDS4, AND you have other files that should be installed to ProgramFiles\\. In this case you set your default path for INSTALLDIR to ProgramFiles\\.
For your merge modules you create a new directory property, let's say for your case we call the property MRDS4DIR. Then you set the value of this property to WindowsVolume\MRDS4.

So in the directory table you should see the parent value set to WindowsVolume and the DefaultDir should look something like .:MRDS4. Since the path name is less than 8 characters you do not have to specify the short name value. If for some reason the path name in DefaultDir is > than 8 characters, then you must insert a 'pipe' character and the corresponding short name first, and then the long name.
0 Kudos