cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LouisE
Level 3

How to add files to a .msp file (not a Quick Patch .msp file)

Jump to solution

When using Quick patch, you can easily add an additional file.  We are looking at NOT using Quickpatch and instead using the regular patch process.  When you open the .msp file and attempt to add another file, you get the message box "You cannot add files when editing Windows Installer Patch files".

So, does this mean that I have to edit my copied .ism file (with the patch changes in it), add the file, build that install again, then build the patch again, or what?

Also, why does the label selection (that is required to do a posting here), only go up to 2022 (no 2023, which is what I am using)?  I selected 2022.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator
A Patch is ultimately another way of delivering a Minor Upgrade, but rather than being a standalone installation it only contains the data which has changed.
The Patch Design view takes a comparison between 2 versions and uses the delta to create the patch. 
- To use the Patch Design view, start by first creating a Minor upgrade for your installer.
- Test this to make sure that it correctly upgrades the previous version.
- Now within the Patch Design view point to the latest Minor Upgrade build, and to the previous version you wish to upgrade.

- If you want to modify the patch then repeat this process, by altering and rebuilding the Minor Upgrade and then rebuilding the Patch.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(2) Replies
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator
A Patch is ultimately another way of delivering a Minor Upgrade, but rather than being a standalone installation it only contains the data which has changed.
The Patch Design view takes a comparison between 2 versions and uses the delta to create the patch. 
- To use the Patch Design view, start by first creating a Minor upgrade for your installer.
- Test this to make sure that it correctly upgrades the previous version.
- Now within the Patch Design view point to the latest Minor Upgrade build, and to the previous version you wish to upgrade.

- If you want to modify the patch then repeat this process, by altering and rebuilding the Minor Upgrade and then rebuilding the Patch.
0 Kudos
LouisE
Level 3

That is what I figured.  So, what is the point of being able to edit the .msp file (you can open the .msp in the IS IDE)?

0 Kudos