cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_shielder_
Level 6

How do you organize installs and upgrades?

InstallShield MSI

I have read all the detailed documentation on major, minor, etc. upgrade types but I’m not sure how to use InstallShield UI correctly. I’m sure this is stupidly simple but I just can’t get a handle on it.

After creating the initial install .ism do I create a new .ism file and add the next upgrade elements or do I keep adding to the same .ism? If you do use the same .ism when is the best time to use a new .ism?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
_shielder_
Level 6

No responses. Does anyone understand what I'm asking or is it a hard question? :confused:
0 Kudos
schmoli
Level 6

As long as you use version control and can always get back to your previous files, there's no big problem in using the same ISM file and just updating. Although I do fork and technically work on a copy between major releases. I only recreate ISM files if i'm moving to a drastically different setup architecture and would like to start fresh.

As an example today I created a new install that is a major upgrade of my previous software (well actually it's a major upgrade to about 4 previous versions of my software), all i did is open my ISM file and create new guids for Package Code, Product Code, and change the Product Version. (FYI, if it were minor upgrade I would just do the Package Code and Product Version).
0 Kudos
_shielder_
Level 6

Schmoli thanks for the Help! 🙂
0 Kudos