cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amarold
Level 5

How do I use the installscript debugger ?

I've written some InstallScript that I'm trying to run as a custom action. When the installer tries to run it it throws a generic -1603 error. In the msi logfile all I see is a line saying it's calling my function, then nothing else related to it. I want to run it in the debugger, but I can't figure out how to do that. If I click on Build->Debug it runs my installer but never enters the debugger.
Clearly I'm missing something, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
amarold
Level 5

Well I finally was able to get it to run by changing my custom action to Immediate execution instead of deferred. Fortunately for what I was doing that was fine. Is it not possible to debug deferred execution items ? Is this mentioned in the docs anywhere ? I've read a ton of the help files and never saw this restriction mentioned.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

You should be able to debug deferred InstallScript custom actions by adding the following registry key to the machine you're debugging on:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\ISEngine16.0

Add a new DWORD value to this key named DebugISCustomActions and set its data to 1. Then try debugging again.

Note that except for the updated version information, the above is covered in KB Q112187.
0 Kudos