cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rguggisberg
Level 13

How do I automate changing Product Code

This question has been asked and answered before... but the links I found are dead.
How do I automate changing Product Code in a TFS environment?
By editing the ISPROJ file?
Is there an argument that I can pass to MSBuild?
I don't want to do this manually in the InstallShield IDE for every build.

I was hoping to force an uninstall of the existing version (Major upgrade) but actually maybe that is not the best solution for me anyway. I don't change the Product Code for our other packages.
Is there a way to 'Not allow upgrades'?
Or a dialog that I could modify to change the behavior on "upgrade"?
Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
RickGutleber
Level 3

We have a script that runs to do the build. We maintain the InstallShield in XML format and use {11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111} and {22222222-2222-2222-2222-22222222222} for the Product Code and Package Code.

As part of the packaging step, we replace the Product Code and the Package Code using a piece of code that generates GUIDs and sed before running InstallShield to generate the installer.

We also use the the same technique to update the version number. Anywhere the version number is stored in the .ISM file, we just use "99.99.99", and then we can automatically change it.

We come out with new versions pretty regularly, but the components haven't changed in many years. This way, we don't have to make any changes to the InstallShield project for new versions.
0 Kudos