cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cschene
Level 2

How do I access path variables in script code?

I have path variables set in my projects and I would like to access the path variables in the script code. Is there a way to do that?

I do realize I can access the path variables in the setup design section, but I need to access them in the code specifically.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
gridman
Level 8

It is my understanding that the Path Variables that are defined in the Path Variables view of the IDE, are only available during the Build process, not during Run-Time execution of your script.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

What I told you is correct. The following is from the Help topic, "Path Variables View":

Note: Path variables are used during the development of your installation project. These paths do not apply to the target machines where the application is being installed. Rather, they are used to link to source files for your installation project. When the project is built, those links are evaluated and the files they point to will be built into the installation.
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

gridman wrote:
What I told you is correct. The following is from the Help topic, "Path Variables View":

Note: Path variables are used during the development of your installation project. These paths do not apply to the target machines where the application is being installed. Rather, they are used to link to source files for your installation project. When the project is built, those links are evaluated and the files they point to will be built into the installation.

your BEST BET is to use VB Script to read and write to systems path variable and use the VBS that you write in custom action during Run time.

HTH
0 Kudos
cschene
Level 2

Thank you for the excellent reply.:)
0 Kudos