cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snoopstah
Level 7

How can i patch an install without the source

I have a unique situation.

I have an installshield project that created a patch. This was version 1.0.58. I have the ism file and relative project files to open up the project. However, I no longer have the source files for this install project, and I do not have a CD image nor an Uncompressed build etc. I ONLY have the patch build output of an update.exe.

I am now tasked with writing a patch to this 1.0.58 update.exe (and some other previous releases)

How can I do this when I don't have the "full" build and only the patch update.exe as a resource?

I tired a few 'hacky' ways around this. I tried to recreate the source files for 1.0.58, and then do an uncompressed build. I point to this in my new project (1.0.61) so we can upgrade 1.0.58. I build and try installing just the new Uncompressed build of 1.0.61 to see if that will upgrade 1.0.58. It does.

I then create a patch for 1.0.61. When I run my new built upgrade.exe against 1.0.58, I am presented with "Error 1328.Error applying patch to file c:\config.msi\pt30.tmp. It has probably been updated by other means, and can no longer be modified by this patch.". This only happens when patching the upgrade.exe that had no source. Running the patch against any other previous release (1.0.27 and 1.0.33) has no issues.

Not sure what to do.

Thanks,
Alison
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
KrisVanherck
Level 6

Well as long as you have the ism file you have the upgrade and product GUID's. You could make a new project with a major upgrade item. Set it to uninstall the previous version silently before you install the new version and the client would be none the wiser 😉
And with the added benefit that this "patch" would become your new "full build" side stepping the problem for future patches.

Ofcourse this depends on how your uninstall is implemented.
0 Kudos