cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brianjustice
Level 3

How can I stop this prerequisite from rebooting the machine?

I created a prerequisite for the WebView2 control.  I am attaching a copy of the .prq file.  When I run the install of the control manually, it doesn't require a reboot.  When I install the .prq before running our installer, it does.  I have tried many combinations of options and I cannot figure out why it thinks it needs to reboot when a manual install on the exact same system does not.

The install image for the .prq is MicrosoftEdgeWebView2RuntimeInstallerX64.exe.  I tried adding the /noreboot flag, but it's not supported by this installer.  If you look at the file I have attached, you can see the registry key that it's looking at to determine if the prerequisite needs to be installed.  Is this what's triggering the reboot?

Can anyone help?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @brianjustice,

Thank you for your post.

Let's take a step back. From an Administrator command prompt, if you install the same redistributable on a clean machine that has never had the redistributable installed on it before, is a reboot triggered? Does Microsoft provide any documentation on a parameter(s) that the redistributable supports for suppressing a reboot? Ultimately, it's Microsoft redistributable, so Microsoft has the experts and has the final authority on that topic.

Hope that helps.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

0 Kudos

No.  Installing on a clean machine does not trigger a reboot.  I have tried on several different versions of Windows and none of them trigger a reboot.  Unfortunately Microsoft does not provide much documentation about this.  I was hoping that someone here had dealt with this particular redistributable.

It's not documented, but I tried adding the /noreboot option to the install prereq, but then the install failed.  Obviously it's not a supported CLI option.

0 Kudos