cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpprtm
Level 2

Host ID for a server with two ethernet adapters

Hello,

For the generation of a Install Shield Standalone Build Perpetual License i have to specify the host ID (Ethernet MAC).

The server we use has two Ethernet adaptors (load balancing), is there a possibility to use legally the product with two host ID's / MAC addresses? Because sometimes the active Ethernet  is not aligned with the Host ID (different MAC address)...

Or do i need another license for the second Host ID?

Thanks.

Simion Ivanoschi

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @cpprtm ,

The HostID that is been used for license generation would be System's Ethernet MAC address which is assumed to be static.When i say static,it is tied up with Ethernet configuration that stays with system hardware NIC(Network Interface Controller)

How can it be varying configuration,do you mean something like MAC address of virtual switch types?

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

So we have two ethernet cards, eth1 and eth2 (with MAC1 and MAC2). Cards are one active (eth1), one in standby (eth2).

Host ID is the MAC of eth1.

Sometimes, after a reboot or due to load balancing, the active Ethernet card is changed (eth2 active instead of eth1; eth1 goes to standby), that means the host ID is not the MAC address in that moment... 

To be fully legit i was wondering if we can somehow assign two MACs to the unique host ID.

Thanks.

0 Kudos