cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Help me Error font in Uninstall dialog Windown XP

When I uninstall my InstallShield project in Windows XP the text in the dialog box is corrupted, however in Win 7 the text is displayed correctly. See the attached pictures for reference...

Thank you!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Ajay_Ladsaria
Level 7

Hi,

This behavior seems to occur when the UTF-8 option is selected for the MSI codepage in the InstallShield releases view. It is possible to install certain codepages or fonts in XP to correct this problem. I suggest you try going into the Regional Settings panel in XP and try to install relevant codepages. It could also be a font issue.

This seems to be a MSI issue with basic UI dialogs when UTF-8 is used as the codepage. Since MSI storage isn't Unicode, it is necessary to use UTF-8 if you need to support having characters from different ANSI codepages in the same install.

Hope this helps,
Ajay
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thank you !

But the text was error when I uninstall with Add/Remove program in windows Xp control. When I installed program the text was normal .
0 Kudos
Ajay_Ladsaria
Level 7

Yes, the problem only seems to occur with the basic or reduced UI progress dialog. This dialog is displayed when uninstalling from ARP as well as when running the install with the /qb or /qr parameters.

-Ajay
0 Kudos
ricko2001
Level 3

So is the unicode option just a trap for developers to waste time?

Do we all need to try it, fail, and then search for a solution- which still hasn't been given?
0 Kudos
matthewoflynn
Level 3

Ajay Ladsaria wrote:
Hi,

This behavior seems to occur when the UTF-8 option is selected for the MSI codepage in the InstallShield releases view. It is possible to install certain codepages or fonts in XP to correct this problem. I suggest you try going into the Regional Settings panel in XP and try to install relevant codepages. It could also be a font issue.

I've encountered the same problem and have found a partial fix which results in readable text during the uninstall but the font is very small. The attached image shows what the text looks like.

The change is made in the Control Panel. Go to: Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options > Regional and Language Options > Languages tab. Check the "Install files for complex script..." option. It will require you to insert your Win XP install disc. This "fix" has only been tested on XP Pro SP3.

There is also a Microsoft KB article on the subject of Unicode support which suggests 3 different "resolutions".

I hope this helps someone!

0 Kudos