cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MisterD88
Level 3

Help! Need way to add dynamic files to install

Hi all,

Our current installation has a rather ugly, manual step involved right now (I didn't create it, I've just inherited it!). In one directory, a number of files are created dynamically by the build system, which the installation then needs to include. No problem, except that the number of files and their file names are subject to change! So each time, I have to go in, delete all the file links from the last build, and replace them with what is currently there. Kludgy and time consuming, not to mention a roadblock to automating this! Any way I can accomplish this in a way that I do not need to open the IDE every time I create an install? TIA!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

This is potentially exactly what a Dynamic File Link is meant to address. Just be advised that if you are using a Windows Installer-based solution (Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI) and intend to deliver minor upgrades or patches in the future, dynamic file links do not always have enough information to follow the necessary component rules. Pure InstallScript projects, or major upgrades of MSI projects are generally safe in that regard.
0 Kudos
MisterD88
Level 3

Thanks Michael, I think it is a basic InstallScript, no MSI is output, just a setup.exe file. I will try converting the links to dynamic and try it out. But how do I create a link to a file which may not exist? Can I add a folder with a dynamic wildcard attribute set or something?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Yes, that's exactly how you're expected to use them - pointing at a folder and specifying an inclusion/exclusion pattern.
0 Kudos
MisterD88
Level 3

Much appreciated Michael, thanks again!
0 Kudos