cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angel126
Level 4

Getting License stopped by Proxy?

Hello,

I test the Installshield Activation Service and have problems to get a license of the Macrovision Server.

I think, the Proxy of my company stop the connection to the server because the port is not open for Internet connectivity.

Can anyone tell me which port is used?
Or is there another way to get a license of the Macrovision Server?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Angel126
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The activation process uses port 443 (HTTPS) for activation. Does your proxy allow connections to the internet but require authentication with the proxy first (does IE prompt you for a password?), or do you effectively not have internet access from the PC in question?
0 Kudos
angel126
Level 4

Thanks for your answer, MichaelU.

I have internet access from my PC.
Yes, I need to authenticate with the proxy.
When I start Installshield, the Proxy prompt me for a password.
But it seems that the port 443 is closed.

So this port need to be open? Or is there another possibility to get connect to the Macrovision Server?

Regards,
angel126
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Hmm, I think I misunderstood where the symptom was. There are two times in question and I'm only familiar with one of them. The first is inside the InstallShield IDE when you wish to acquire a license with which to wrap your program for activation; the second is when someone (generally an end-user) activates a wrapped program.

My understanding was that the first - acquiring the license - works through proxies correctly. However I'm not familiar with it and will see if I can turn up any information. I've recently worked with the second - activating an instance through a proxy - and have an updated file we can let you test for the activation step.

Could you clarify which of the two steps is blocking you right now? I originally answered for the second, but now I think you're at the first.
0 Kudos
angel126
Level 4

Thanks for your answer MichaelU.
Sorry, I didn't describe the problem very precisely.
Yes, you are right, I mean the first step inside the IDE.
When I try to connect to the Macrovision Server I got an error message.
I try to translate it.

Could not establish a connection to License Server. Perhaps the server did not answer or your Internet connection was disconnected. Try again later.

Regards,
Angel126
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Alright. I'll try to track down whether our license acquiring transaction is proxy-enabled. In the meantime it may be good to confirm that your proxy does allow HTTPS once properly authenticated. You should be able to do this by opening Internet Explorer and going to some normal web site (authenticating), and then visiting a secure website such as Google's secure sign-in. If you cannot load a secure page in Internet Explorer, we're not going to be able to acquire a license via the secure channel. If you can, we just have to make sure we're doing everything right on our side.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I found a little more information that might be useful. We use the ServerXMLHTTP object for this query, and apparently it sometimes has some trouble with proxies. This is documented with a potential fix on Microsoft KB article 289481 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289481/EN-US/). Let me know if this is useful so we can get a pointer up in our own knowledge base.
0 Kudos
angel126
Level 4

Hello MichaelU,

thanks for your help.
The only way for me to get a license from Macrovision is to open the port without an authentication.
Our System Administrator was not very lucky to do that.

I think there must be a way to use the proxy settings to get the license.
Other internet pages with https working without any problems, only the Macrovision Activation Service does not work.
You can not assume that this port is generally open in every company.

I hope you change this behavior with a patch, because it is not the best solution.

Regards,
Angel126
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Alright, I've filed this as a bug to be investigated for a fix in a future release; I can't guarantee any timeframe at this point, or whether we'll be able to patch existing versions. You can track this for more information via the number: IOC-000045059.

I reproduced this behavior on InstallShield 11.5; what version are you using?
0 Kudos
angel126
Level 4

Hello MichaelU,

I am using Version 11 Premier Edition in German.

Regards,
Angel126
0 Kudos