cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
satyendra
Level 3

GAC Registration

Hi All,

I want to register a DLL in GAC. I am using InstallShield2010. Can any one guide me how to do this.

Thank You,
Satyendra
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Alpesh
Flexera Alumni

Hi Satyendra,

Just set the destination of the component containing the dll to GlobalAssemblyCache. Make sure that the dll is the key file of the component.

Thanks,
Alpesh
0 Kudos
satyendra
Level 3

Thanks for your responce.

I added my DLL's and their strong name key files to GAC dir. And tried to rebuild the setup. Then I got the following error.

Error 1 -7104: The destination of the component AllOtherFiles9 is the GlobalAssemblyCache. The component must contain a key file. ISDEV : error : -7104: The destination of the component AllOtherFiles9 is the GlobalAssemblyCache. The component must contain a key file.

Thank You,
Satyendra
0 Kudos
calvin940
Level 3

From here, go to section

Problem: The assembly will not install to the Global Assembly Cache

Definitely try to get C working because then you will not have to pull in the properties of the assembly each time you change it in the next rev of the installers. That would become a real pain.
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

I can't tell for sure because the "file system" view is shown in the picture, but you might have two key files in one component. You should only have one key file per component. It might also be that teh component wizard created an "AllOtherFilesn" component for your snk files, but didn't assign either one as a key.
0 Kudos
satyendra
Level 3

I removed one DLL and its strong name key and try to build the setup once again. It build successfully. Then when I tried to run this setup in Windows7 OS I am getting the following error.

the assembly is not strongly named or is not signed with the minimal key length

After this error, I created another strong name for my DLL and tried to install once again. Same error I got again again.

Can any one help me please.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

You use Microsoft's SN.EXE to apply the SNK file to your DLL. If you are using Visual Studio, this is a project option for the compiler.

You never ever; let me repeat myself; never ever deploy the SNK file. Doing so allows someone to create assemblies and sign them as if they came from you.
0 Kudos