cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoeBig
Level 4

Folder browser dialog and UNC paths?

I need to be able to show an empty edit box as well as a browse button tied to that edit box that accepts UNC paths and changes the current INSTALLDIR to the value of the edit box.

I've done this by creating a new property and assigning this value to the edit box. I had to create a new property instead of using INSTALLDIR because I need this edit box to be empty on first use. Upon clicking next I call a CA which simply sets the INSTALLDIR to the specified value like so: Session.TargetPath("INSTALLDIR") = Session.Property("MUINSTALLDIR");.

Now my problem... not all UNC paths are created equally. While Windows explorer perfectly accepts a UNC path like \\127.0.0.1\SharedFolder and also \\compnam.domain.com\SharedFolder, these UNC paths do not work in Installshield. Worse, the user experience simply sees an error dialog (Error 1606) which provides a retry and cancel... no way to change it except to click cancel and restart the installer!

What are my options here? I simply want to be able to accept perfectly legitimate UNC paths, verify that they exist are valid (if not, allow user to change it without restart of installer), and on top of this, provide a folder browser dialog so that the user can browse to this folder.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
GarrettDyer
Level 5

JoeBig wrote:
While Windows explorer perfectly accepts a UNC path like //127.0.0.1/SharedFolder and also //compnam.domain.com/SharedFolder, these UNC paths do not work in Installshield.

This is probably a silly question, so please forgive me: does it not accept paths with backslashes as well?
0 Kudos
JoeBig
Level 4

GarrettDyer wrote:
This is probably a silly question, so please forgive me: does it not accept paths with backslashes as well?

Stupid me! I typed those paths by hand and used the wrong "slash". I've updated the original post.
0 Kudos
GarrettDyer
Level 5

Have you tested this on more than one target system? The below URL shows a discussion involving a registry entry that is incorrect.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistainstall/thread/a4c394d9-2a26-4489-a0c1-529d5ae3c193
0 Kudos