cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoderCoder
Level 8

Files in Use

MSI engine is doing its thing to find the processes that needs to be closed down and prompts FilesinUse dialog. Is it possible to populate just that list so that it list extra processes?

I dont want to create a whole custom action and separately call FilesInUse dialog. Because if I do that user will see the FilesInUse dialog twice, one from MSI engine itself and one from the custom action. I just want to populate the list (if one exist) and msi uses that list when it checks for running processes. When and how does it do it by the way?

I also just wonder if it is possible to remove a process from the list so that MSI ignores that process and doesnt ask user to shut it down.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
JoderCoder
Level 8

Resending..
0 Kudos
Alpesh
Flexera Alumni

Hi,

In my opinion, you will not be able to customize the processes showing up on the FilesInUSe dialog. It is the Windows Installer standard action InstallValidate action, that spawns this dialog during the run-time.

I hope the information helps.

Thanks,
Alpesh
0 Kudos
Alpesh
Flexera Alumni

Correction - You should be able to call MsiProcessMessage (or Session.Message) with INSTALLMESSAGE_FILESINUSE to add information to FilesInUse.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Alpesh
0 Kudos