Did you mean: 
naeddula
Level 3

File path size problem with Installshield Limited Edition 20101

I am using TFS 2010 for ALM process.

As part of this, we are doing below things:

1. Compile all projects
2. Finally compile Installshield setup project

The above two steps are triggered when we queue build defintion(this contains all projects 1 and 2).
Queuing is done from Team Explorer.

It compiles all projects perfectly good, but i see a problem when it comes to compile Setup project. The error is shown below:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\InstallShield\2011Limited\InstallShield.targets (96): -5047: Cannot create directory C:\DailyBuild\Sources\Tools\Setup\SPATInstallShieldSetup\SPATInstallShieldSetup\Express\Debug\DiskImages\DISK1\program files\SmartPlant\SmartPlant Automated Test Framework\Common\Resources\ProxyProviders\ApexGridProvider\Service References\ServiceReference1. The path exceeds 248 character limit specified by the operating system. Change the build location of the current release to a shorter path to resolve this issue."

We changed the output location for MSI file. This works fine when we try to compile the project manually from same machine. If i try to do the same from any other machine using Team Explorer, it is trying to compile to default location(under setup project), instead of taking the provided short path(C:\) for compilation.

Any help will be really helpful to us. We are unable to proceed further because of this issue.

Thanks
-Nagababu
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Madusree
Level 7

Hi,

I am currently looking into this Issue. I should have further update in a day's time .

Thanks,
Madusree
0 Kudos
Madusree
Level 7

Hello,

Could you provide us the steps you are following to compile the project using Team Explorer to narrow down the Issue?

Thanks,
Madusree
0 Kudos
naeddula
Level 3

As part of ALM, we have planned to do the following steps:

1. In Team Build, we add all projects to be compile don every day night
2. Upgrade the version number of installshield setup project (using a batch file triggering)
3. Compile the setup project
4. Move the created set up to server machine (using a batch file triggering)
5. Install the setup (using a batch file triggering)
6. Run unit tests (using a batch file triggering)
7. Publish the test results(using a batch file triggering)

I see problem in 3rd step, because team build tries to comopile the installshield set up project at default path. So during compilation, it shows the size of one of the file paths is exceeding the limit and makes other steps also fail.
0 Kudos
RebeccaB
Level 2 Flexeran
Level 2 Flexeran

Did you go to 6) Prepare for Release->Releases view, select the Build tab and set the Release Location to C:\?
0 Kudos