cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shodhan
Level 4

File not getting removed after uninstallation

Hi all,
I have made an installer (Basic MSI) in IS2011. It installs successfully on the system. But when I uninstall it (using all possible methods) 1 file (its a Shared DLL) remains on the system. Surprisingly, even the SharedDLL count of that file in the registry goes off when uninstalled, but the file is still there. Also, there are no Processes that are holding it there.

When I viewed the uninstallation logs, I found that the component that has this file, is not listed in the InstallFinalize step, & is also not present in the RemoveFiles step. After a while, I just changed the Component Code GUID of that component, & everything worked fine!

What could be the reason behind this? And how did it work just by changing the GUID ?

Please help.
Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
jiwilson
Level 2

It is interstering that you mention this, I have had the same issue with a reg key getting left behind, even when you mark it as NOT perm. I have an open issue with Flexera, Well see what happens. I have even gone in and re-created the component that the reg key lives in. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff W. :confused:
0 Kudos
TsungH
Level 12

Component reference count was most likely incorrect. By changing component GUID, you essentially have a clean slate. If you have not, please refer to Component Rules 101.
0 Kudos
shodhan
Level 4

Thanks TsungH for that response. But would you elaborate more on your statement: "Component reference count was most likely incorrect". I would like to know what you meant by "incorrect".
0 Kudos
TsungH
Level 12

The ref count does not match the number of times component is installed. Off may be a better word.
0 Kudos
shodhan
Level 4

Thanks TsungH...
0 Kudos