cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DemonPiggies
Level 7

Feature Uninstallation...

So I may have missed this somewhere in the help file but in what order do the features get removed and unregistered?

Because of some unknown artifacts left in the *.ism file when I updated the project from IS6 to IS2010, I have taken it upon myself to start from scratch and build a new installation project. The components are in a similar order as the original but I receive an error about "... did not self-register or unregister... Specific module cannot be found..." Now I've read (on other posts) that the features are supposed to be removed in the order they are installed and that the files that get unregistered are queued up until the end of the feature removal. Is this true? But I have watched the uninstall and have seen that the last major feature (there are sub features within that main feature) is removed first instead of being removed last. I then moved the feature throwing the error to the bottom of the feature list and still the same happens.

Am I missing something? (I understand that some of this may have to do with the order but at this point I don't think it is...)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Vijay__K
Level 7

Hi,
Have you tried to enable to logging?
It will be easier to see where/why the problem is occuring if there is a log file.

Regards,
Vijay
0 Kudos
DemonPiggies
Level 7

"Enable(LOGGING)"?

The log is only disabled in two places and one deals with a registry setting and the other is a settings file we leave.

Reading the log file would be a good idea except truthfully I do not know where the log file resides after installation...

EDIT: To clarify the log files I am talking about are the ones that are created during the installation of the installer on a user's system not the ones generated while creating the installer...
0 Kudos
DemonPiggies
Level 7

So I've basically ruled out the order thing since I've made the DLLs and OCX files the first to be installed and presumably the first uninstalled (these files do not need to be registered/unregisterd in a specific order and I have verified this with the my development team). The files appear to have been removed before the unregister takes place unless the errors are hidden until the removal process is complete but this seems far fetched.

Does UninstallShield wait until the files are removed BEFORE unregistering them? Or am I missing something here or it this a setting somewhere?
0 Kudos