cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toftof
Level 4

Failed Custom Action in silent mode using [INSTALLDIR]

Hi all,

I have a problem running an installation in silent mode.

The installation uses a custom action to copy and rename a file from one location to another. But while everything works fine in normal mode, the custom action fails to work properly in silent mode.

The custom action uses the [INSTALLDIR] property to determine where to copy the file, but the property seems does not seem to be set, therefore the file is copied to the root directory C:\. Also if I try to set [INSTALLDIR] in the command line nothing happens...[INSTALLDIR] is not listed in the Property Manager, is that normal?

Now more details about the CA:
-A first custom action is run to set the property value of the custom action that copies the file. The value is set to [SourceFilePath];[INSTALLDIR].
-The second custom action splits the value into two and then copies the file from [SourceFilePath] to [INSTALLDIR].

However, the log file indicates that [INSTALLDIR] is blank when trying to copy the file...

I can provide more details about the custom actions if required but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Chris
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Where is the custom action sequenced that sets your custom action data information? If this action is sequenced before CostFinalize, INSTALLDIR may not have a value.
0 Kudos
toftof
Level 4

I moved it after CostFinalize but still no joy.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The next step would be to create a verbose log to see what value INSTALLDIR has at the time your custom action(s) are run. If INSTALLDIR has a value and it is correct at the time your action(s) run, then the next thing to look at is the custom actions to ensure they are authored to correctly read/parse the value of INSTALLDIR. Unfortunately, we can't offer any specific suggestions without additional information about the custom actions, what type of actions are being used, how they were authored, etc.
0 Kudos