cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoderCoder
Level 8

Extracting msi from setup.exe

Since I have some pre-reqs like .Net 3.5, windows installer engine etc I have to create a setup.exe. I also have to create an msi with no pre-reqs so that the package can be deployed via Active Directory/Group Policy.

Right now, I create an compressed exe only. Can I extract the msi from the exe? If so, how? I see that msi is created in the temp folder when I run the installer. Is there a command line option or such?

Or do I have to create another ism with no pre-reqs that creates an msi as an output?

I have an automated build process, so I would like to have an exe and msi at the end of each build.

Thanks for any input in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Could you have two releases/product configurations in the same project (.ism) file, one with everything compressed and one with an external MSI?

Setup.exe does support the /a switch, which performs an "administrative installation", which might be close to what you want; please see the help topic "Setup.exe and Update.exe Command-Line Parameters".
0 Kudos
JoderCoder
Level 8

I would like to have a compressed msi as well, so if I create 2 releases for the same project as you suggest, I would be able create an msi but not compressed.

The only way I can think of is that,

1. Have an ism with no pre-reqs
2. Build it and create a compressed msi
3. Find the automation API's so that I can add the .Net 3.5 and installer engine 3.1
4. Build the ism and create a compressed setup.exe

This should work right?
0 Kudos