cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garyflet
Level 3

Executable won't run from install unless install is “Run from Administrator”

I am running Windows 7 with Administrator privileges. I would like my Basic MSI install to launch an executable without having to right click on the install and then click on “Run as Administrator”. If I “Run as Administrator” the install, I get a prompt asking, “Would you like to install this device software” (my executable installs a driver), and when I click the “Install” button, the driver is installed. However, if I launch the install just by double clicking in Windows Explorer, I get an error dialog box from the install: Error 1721…A program required for this install to complete could not be run…”.

Evidently the executable cannot proceed without the permission it gets when the install is “Run as Administrator.” Is there some way to make that happen with the install so the user doesn’t have to Run as Administrator? Remember, I’m talking about a user with Administrator privileges.

Thanks for any reply,
Gary
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Vijay__K
Level 7

Hello,

Have you embedded the 'administrator' manifest to the setup.exe?
(That is if you're using a setup.exe to loanch the msi file)
0 Kudos
garyflet
Level 3

Thanks for your answer. I'm a little late in replying but my problem is that I don't know how to do that. Is there a setting in InstallShield? On the General Information page I made the "Install condition" "Admin User", but that didn't seem to help.

Gary
0 Kudos
garyflet
Level 3

I would like to make it so that the install runs only if "Run as administrator". How do I do that? On the General Information page I made the "Install condition" "Admin User", but that didn't seem to be effective.

Thanks,
GF
0 Kudos
garyflet
Level 3

Now I see that I can set the execution level from Media->Releases->Release 1->Setup.exe->Required Execution Level.
0 Kudos