cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justauser
Level 3

Evaluating Java support

Hi,
Which version of InstallShield I should download to use Java support ?.

Antony
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

What sort of Java support are you interested in? InstallShield 2009 will install a JRE as a prerequisite, but supports only Windows systems; if you want a Java-based installer that will run on Windows and other operating systems, you might look at InstallAnywhere.

There's more information on each product's capabilities at www.acresso.com.
0 Kudos
justauser
Level 3

I need a JVM and the installer is for windows machines only.
What I am doing is upgrading an existing InstallShield project to the current version. The installer uses Java dialogs and commands to install a java application. It is using InstallShield API for dialogs. I want to know which version of InstallShield supports using Java dialogs for installation. I tried Express Edition 2008 and it dont have any Java API bundled with it. I want to know whether 2009 Premier or Professional edition provides Java dialogs.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If the Java dialogs are being displayed using an external application, you can use InstallShield to launch external programs. Do you know the InstallShield version your earlier product was installed with? Knowing that would make it easier to know how to upgrade it...
0 Kudos
justauser
Level 3

InstallShield Java Edition 3.50. The java dialogs are using classes from packages com.installshield.awt and merlin.wizard. I dont have the 3.50 version of InstallShield and there seems to be no documentation of this version at the site.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Aha. The InstallShield Java Edition product line continued as InstallShield MultiPlatform after version 4, up to InstallShield MultiPlatform 11.5; after which the product line was discontinued in favor of InstallAnywhere. (Please see this FAQ page, for example.)

For more information about InstallAnywhere, please visit www.acresso.com.
0 Kudos
justauser
Level 3

Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos