cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DandamanAUS
Level 6

Error extracting ISBEW64.exe from ISLockPermissions.dll

Hi Support,

I am not sure if this is specifc to the issue I am having or not but I found this error while diagnosing.
Error extracting ISBEW64.exe from ISLockPermissions.dll

My installer will deploy SQL Scripts to the SQL Server 2016 SP1 Express my installation can now deploy.

This all works fine on my windows 8.1 64-bit desktop.
In my Azure windows test servers 64-bit 2016 and 64-bit 2012 they both fail.
2012 fails with a windows crash.
where as 2016 completes fine but doesn't deploy the SQL scripts.

Attached is the file MSIa9eb0.LOG from the 2012 server as I enabled logging. (voicewarmupx)

Windows log when it dies:
Faulting application name: MsiExec.exe, version: 5.0.9200.21523, time stamp: 0x557c2cf7
Faulting module name: MSIC1CA.tmp, version: 23.0.0.288, time stamp: 0x57b883ff
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0004b578
Faulting process id: 0x788
Faulting application start time: 0x01d28259c3c5a445
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\syswow64\MsiExec.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIC1CA.tmp
Report Id: 15157969-ee4d-11e6-93fe-000d3ad0f70f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DandamanAUS
Level 6

Ok So I updated InstallShield to 2016 and I thought that solved the issue for 2012 but still caused 2016 to not actually create the databases in the SQL server.

While looking through the logs I had a idea to run the installer as Administrator. It installed everything and created the databases without error.

It turns out that the Required Execution Level of the installer is set to Highest available.

The information provide is:
Highest Available-setup.exe prefers administrative privileges. Administrators must authorise it; non-administrators run it without administrative privileges.

So the Administrator account for windows servers has enough credentials to install the application binaries, C++, Crystal Reports, SQL Server Express but does not have enough privileges to run sql scripts on the very SQL Server it created?

Am I the only one that thinks this is odd?
So where does the fault lie? With InstallShield 2016 SP1, Microsoft windows MSI script itself or with my setting of Required Execution Level?

I think InstallShield 2016 & InstallShield SP1 2016 is to blame since my InstallShield 2014 installer which this one is based off installs the databases without error!
0 Kudos
DandamanAUS
Level 6

OK So running as Administrator is not the fix.
It appears that the installer will only do what its supposed to once the following is done to the registry...

To enable Windows Installer logging
To enable Windows Installer logging yourself,*open*the registry by using Regedit.exe, and then create the following subkey and keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
Reg_SZ: Logging
Value: voicewarmupx

From <>

I had done this before and didn't think it was the solution but in a brand new VM its the only way to get the Scripts to Deploy!!!
0 Kudos