cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ganesh2you
Level 5

Error - The Installation source for this product is not available. verify that source

Hi to All,

I am facing an error while uninstalling product,

The exe file was created by installed shield 2011, It was MSI script file product, EXE is installing and uninstalling in the Windows XP is working fine there is no such a error shown in the uninstalling process, But Windows 7 while uninstalling the product it shows an error "The Installation source for this product is not available. verify that source is exists and that you can access it. "

But if I install newer version on it, It installing, If I uninstall with out restarting it, The product is uninstalling, If I restart the windows 7 machine, and I try to uninstall, The product shows such a kind of error, Kindly help me out of this problem

Error - The Installation source for this product is not available. verify that source is exists and that you can access it.
C:\windows\installer\1cf2d.msi

ganeshkn@tataelxsi.co.in
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
snip_1415
Level 4

Hi,
Can u please be more clear on what is that u r trying to do!!!! R u trying to install and uninstall 2 different exe of the same product.

But if I install newer version on it. What is newer version here?It is a new version of ur application or it is a different product altogether.
0 Kudos
ganesh2you
Level 5

snip_1415 wrote:
Hi,
Can u please be more clear on what is that u r trying to do!!!! R u trying to install and uninstall 2 different exe of the same product.

But if I install newer version on it. What is newer version here?It is a new version of ur application or it is a different product altogether.

Hi snip ,

The Problem is for uninstalling the product, it shows such error, it searching *.MSI in the location of c:\windows\installer\

Thank you for your immediate reply

I Hope so your answer will get me out of my problem

These were the steps followed.
1. Installed a product(package created by us using Install Sheild 2011).
2. Restarted the machine
3. Tried to uninstall this product

When we tried to uninstall, error was displayed saying. "The installtion source is not found" ( this is not the exact msg ). From our analysis we could infer that
After restarting the machine, OS may deleted those temp file(i.e MSI) in that location(c:\windows\installer\), while uninstalling the product, The product is searching that msi file path. But that uninstaller could not find that file, So it shows that error, This s my understanding

Is there any way to get around this problem?
0 Kudos
snip_1415
Level 4

Hi,

First up let me make some facts clear. The C:\windows\installer folder is a hidden folder on the machine and is used by windows installer to cache the MSI files on the local machine for any maintenance operation ( remove, modify, repair). Windows installer changes the name of the MSI file like xxxxxx.msi and does not cache the file with its original name ( this is by WI design).

When we trigger an remove, modify or repair operation for an MSI then the cached package is launched and operation is performed according. The information about cached package is stored as value "LocalPackage" under the registry.
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\{CompressedProductCode}.
After uninstall, the cached package is not removed from the c:\windows\installer folder. ( this is again by WI design).

Having said all of this please verify the below and let me know:

1) After the package is installed go the registry HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\{CompressedProductCode} and look for value "LocalPackage". Now confirm that the value LocalPackage has same value as shown in the error (C:\windows\installer\1cf2d.msi).
2) After the step one, go to c:\windows\installer and verify that the package C:\windows\installer\1cf2d.msi exists.

If both 1 and 2 are true then the reboot should not delete the file C:\windows\installer\1cf2d.msi and u should be able to uninstall ur application.

Also verify that u have sufficient privileges on the machine and that the system is not write protected.
0 Kudos
ganesh2you
Level 5

snip_1415 wrote:
Hi,

First up let me make some facts clear. The C:\windows\installer folder is a hidden folder on the machine and is used by windows installer to cache the MSI files on the local machine for any maintenance operation ( remove, modify, repair). Windows installer changes the name of the MSI file like xxxxxx.msi and does not cache the file with its original name ( this is by WI design).

When we trigger an remove, modify or repair operation for an MSI then the cached package is launched and operation is performed according. The information about cached package is stored as value "LocalPackage" under the registry.
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\{CompressedProductCode}.
After uninstall, the cached package is not removed from the c:\windows\installer folder. ( this is again by WI design).

1) After the package is installed go the registry HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\{CompressedProductCode} and look for value "LocalPackage". Now confirm that the value LocalPackage has same value as shown in the error (C:\windows\installer\1cf2d.msi).
2) After the step one, go to c:\windows\installer and verify that the package C:\windows\installer\1cf2d.msi exists.

If both 1 and 2 are true then the reboot should not delete the file C:\windows\installer\1cf2d.msi and u should be able to uninstall ur application.

Also verify that u have sufficient privileges on the machine and that the system is not write protected.

Hi snip ,

Thank you very much for your very brief reply.will check and let you know my next reply..
0 Kudos
ganesh2you
Level 5

snip_1415 wrote:
Hi,

Hi snip,
I have tried the things which u are mentioned in this reply, that msi was in regedit as well as c:\windows\installer but it shows same problem, This problem is only comes under windows 7, Could you please give me some more solution here I have attached screen shot of the same

0 Kudos
snip_1415
Level 4

Hi,

With the screenshots attached everything looks good.

Next question, do u have sufficient privileges on the machine? R u logged in as "administrator" or a user which has "administrator" privileges?

Please generate a uninstall log using below steps:

1) Go to run
2) Type cmd
3) Type msiexec /x {ProductCode} /L*vx C:\Uninstall.txt
4) Then enter

This will generate uninstall log under C:\ folder, copy it here for the analysis.
0 Kudos
ganesh2you
Level 5

Hi,

Next question, do u have sufficient privileges on the machine? R u logged in as "administrator" or a user which has "administrator" privileges?

1) Go to run
2) Type cmd
4) Then enter

This will generate uninstall log under C:\ folder, copy it here for the analysis.

Hi snip ,

Thanks for your immediate reply ...

We are Loged in like user which has "administrator" privileges

Here I have pasted that command line text

msiexec /Option [Optional Parameter]

Install Options

Installs or configures a product
/a
Administrative install - Installs a product on the network
/j [/t ] [/g ]
Advertises a product - m to all users, u to current user

Uninstalls the product
Display Options
/quiet
Quiet mode, no user interaction
/passive
Unattended mode - progress bar only
/q[n|b|r|f]
Sets user interface level
n - No UI
b - Basic UI
r - Reduced UI
f - Full UI (default)
/help
Help information
Restart Options
/norestart
Do not restart after the installation is complete
/promptrestart
Prompts the user for restart if necessary
/forcerestart
Always restart the computer after installation
Logging Options
/l[i|w|e|a|r|u|c|m|o|p|v|x|+|!|*]
i - Status messages
w - Nonfatal warnings
e - All error messages
a - Start up of actions
r - Action-specific records
u - User requests
c - Initial UI parameters
m - Out-of-memory or fatal exit information
o - Out-of-disk-space messages
p - Terminal properties
v - Verbose output
x - Extra debugging information
+ - Append to existing log file
! - Flush each line to the log
* - Log all information, except for v and x options
/log
Equivalent of /l*
Update Options
/update [;Update2.msp]
Applies update(s)
/uninstall [;Update2.msp] /package
Remove update(s) for a product
Repair Options
/f[p|e|c|m|s|o|d|a|u|v]
Repairs a product
p - only if file is missing
o - if file is missing or an older version is installed (default)
e - if file is missing or an equal or older version is installed
d - if file is missing or a different version is installed
c - if file is missing or checksum does not match the calculated value
a - forces all files to be reinstalled
u - all required user-specific registry entries (default)
m - all required computer-specific registry entries (default)
s - all existing shortcuts (default)
v - runs from source and recaches local package
Setting Public Properties
[PROPERTY=PropertyValue]

Consult the Windows ® Installer SDK for additional documentation on the
command line syntax.

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Portions of this software are based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.

I hope so this is the screen shoot ..

snip_1415 wrote:
0 Kudos
ganesh2you
Level 5

snip_1415 wrote:
Hi,

1) Go to run
2) Type cmd
4) Then enter

Did u check my previous reply kindly reply for the same, It will be very useful for us ...
0 Kudos
OldBean
Level 5

There is no space in between letters of the logging parameter "/L*vx".
0 Kudos
ganesh2you
Level 5

OldBean wrote:
There is no space in between letters of the logging parameter "/L*vx".

Hi OldBean ,

I given space between /L and *vx
0 Kudos