cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leblanc9425
Level 3

Error -7354 for ID_STRING44 identified during build

I recently upgraded from InstallShield 2015 Express to InstallShield 2016 Express. When I try to build the file without any changes I get the error:

The English (United States) value for string "ID_STRING44" does not contain a legitimate value for table Shortcut column Name. Error Code -7354

The file builds fine under 2015 but not 2016. Any idea what ID_STRING44 is referring to??
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
Stefan_M
Level 5

Open the 'String Editor' and search for "ID_STRING44"
If the string in Value looks like 'abcdefghik' then change it to 'abcdef~1|abcdefghik'
0 Kudos

Hello,

For newbies like me that has to use your product and you say go into the String Editor, if you could kindly list out the menu items/menus that I need to click on, it would be appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Hmm, yeah, string IDs aren't directly accessible in Express; we could certainly clean up the error message for this case.

This error means that the value of one of your shortcut's names is invalid according to MSI rules. (We previously weren't enforcing this correctly.) You should be able to find the bad name by looking in the Shortcuts view, and testing each of your shortcuts. For example, change the name to something else, build, and then change it back. Let me know if that's not enough to get you going. Once we know the problematic value, I can make more specific recommendations.
0 Kudos
leblanc9425
Level 3

MichaelU , thanks for the suggestions. I was able to isolate the problem by following your advice.

Surprisingly, the problem was with the InstallShield default generated "Uninstall" shortcut. For example, if I right-clicked in the shortcut folder and selected "Add Uninstall Shortcut", the shortcut "Uninstall" would be created. In the past, this was all that I needed to do, but with IS 2016 Express, it causes the "ID_STRING" error.

Solution:
Deleted old "Uninstall" shortcut, create a new uninstall shortcut but I renamed the shortcut from "Uninstall" to "Uninstall Software", then it would build without error.

From a users perspective, it would seem that the IS software should not generate a default shortcut that produces an error. To me, this should be corrected.

Again, thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Great, glad you got things working! And I totally agree. While uninstall shortcuts are discouraged since Windows Vista (or earlier), we should ensure that InstallShield isn't causing extra errors in your project. We'll look into it.
0 Kudos
NassereB
Level 4

MichaelU wrote:
Hmm, yeah, string IDs aren't directly accessible in Express; we could certainly clean up the error message for this case.

This error means that the value of one of your shortcut's names is invalid according to MSI rules. (We previously weren't enforcing this correctly.) You should be able to find the bad name by looking in the Shortcuts view, and testing each of your shortcuts. For example, change the name to something else, build, and then change it back. Let me know if that's not enough to get you going. Once we know the problematic value, I can make more specific recommendations.

Hi,

I'm also having lot's of issues when I've upgraded to IS2016
All files in the RemoveFile table results in error -7354 (removing folders is ok => empty FileName column)

I am using wildcards: eg *.json
but also files without wildcards give the same problem.

PS: I also have a lot of ISXmlElementAttrib => Name/Value error which are in my opinion valid.

Do you have any suggestions?
Many thanks.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

I'm pleased to announce that InstallShield 2016 Express SP1 was released yesterday, and this issue has been fixed in the service pack.
0 Kudos
bestellen
Level 4

Create a new uninstall shortcut but I renamed the shortcut from "Uninstall" to "Uninstall Software", then it would build without error.
0 Kudos