cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Error -1501 Could not compress

I am currently evaluating Express 2008 and trying to create an installation for a web service. If I try a rebuild all I get the above error, the details of which are:

-1501: Could not compress "F:\A\B\Web Service\Setup\Express\SingleImage\DiskImages\DISK1\Setup.msi" into "F:\A\B\Web Service\Setup\Express\SingleImage\DiskImages\DISK1\Data1.cab"

THis occurs when InstallShield is building the cab files

Can anyone throw any light upon this,

Many thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
HennoKeers
Level 7

greenuser wrote:
I am currently evaluating Express 2008 and trying to create an installation for a web service. If I try a rebuild all I get the above error, the details of which are:

-1501: Could not compress "F:\A\B\Web Service\Setup\Express\SingleImage\DiskImages\DISK1\Setup.msi" into "F:\A\B\Web Service\Setup\Express\SingleImage\DiskImages\DISK1\Data1.cab"

THis occurs when InstallShield is building the cab files

Can anyone throw any light upon this,

Many thanks

This usually happens when you are exceeding 256 characters of directory names and fielnames on the network drive where you are building on.
Can you select "Shallow folder structure" in the build configuration, that might help.

reg, Henno
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Many thanks for your input. I couldn't find the "Shallow folder structure" option but I did reduce the number of characters in the root path to see if that had an impact. I now get the error -1014:

-1014: Cannot rename directory F:\DevPsiPro\NewPsion\PocketGM WS\Setup\Express\SingleImage to F:\DevPsiPro\NewPsion\PocketGM WS\Setup\Express\SingleImage.Bak.
Windows Explorer or a DOS prompt may be pointing to a subfolder of the release output folder (Disk1) or to the Interm folder, locking it. Change the current directory. Close any open files in the Disk1 folder. Close Msidb.exe if it is open.

I do not have file explorer or Msidb running.
0 Kudos
loumachado
Level 2

This is frustrating to no end. I can't believe I'm having to deal with a problem that's been around for years just because my folder path was increased by 12 characters! 12 CHARACTERS!

In my case the path to the install project is 70 characters. (I use Visual Studio Team Foundation Server Team Build so a lot gets added in.) But then I get this giant path because of a merge module.

<*projectname*>\Interm\MergeModules\policy_9_0_Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86.52105B6B_A3EF_3A90_882A_947B287C203A\ul_policy.21022.08.policy_9_0_Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86.RTM.52105B6B_A3EF_3A90_882A_947B287C203A

Is there some way to get keep IS from building out to this path? This decompressed merge module path is brutal and I think this is what's killing me. :confused:

I'm also very disappointed how KB Q109167 represents the problem. They don't even mention this 256 character limit!
0 Kudos
vikas_sh
Level 2

Hi,

I am using DevStudio 9...

When I am trying to build my project I am also getting the same error

[exec] ISDEV : fatal error -1501: Could not compress "F:/ThirdParty\microsoft\microsoft.net\sdk\v2.0\bin\gacutil.exe" into "F:\Basecore\g524-3040\install\g524-3040\siipsenv\siipsenv\Nested\DiskImages\DISK1\Data1.cab"
[exec] siipsenv\Nested - 1 error(s), 1 warning(s)

When I am manually launching the IsCmdBld.exe from its location and also from the same location of file "gacutil.exe", its not helping me to resolve this problem.

Please help me to resolve this problem, If anyone has resolved this problem.

Thanks,
Vikas
0 Kudos