cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sharon
Level 5

Error 1500 on installing feature prerequisite from DVD

Hi all,

I am building a major setup for a main product. Recently I have added 2 feature prerequisites (msi packages) of a 3rd party to a new feature in this project.
On installation from network, I get a note: would you like to run the setup.exe? for security reasons, And once I select to install, all goes fine.

On installation from DVD, I am not required to approve the installation.
I am encountering serious problems :
Right after the feature selection, I can see a progress bar, with note for: installing x (the prerequisite)
shortly after that, I get an error 1500 (another win installer package is running) and I have to cancel the main installer.
According to the log file, IsInstallPrerequisites returns value=1,
and I can see both prerequisites in add/remove programs window.

Does anyone have an idea why does it only get reproduced on installation from DVD and how can I solve this issue?
Please help, It's a major problem.... :confused:

Thanks,
Sharon.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

It's possible that the prerequisite you launch is returning early. One way to verify if this is the case would be to run it from a command line as an argument to start /wait. For example, if your prerequisite is normally launched as D:\PrereqLaunch.exe, run start /wait D:\PrereqLaunch.exe. If you get the next prompt before the prerequisite finishes installing, this is probably causing the problem.

How to fix it will depend on the launcher in question. Some allow you to tweak this behavior by specifying command-line parameters, such as /wait or /clone_wait. Alternately perhaps you can change the prerequisite to use an administrative install and install the msi directly instead of through its launcher.
0 Kudos
sharon
Level 5

Hi Michael and all other forum mebers,

As this issue only gets reproduced on run from DVD,
I would like to get your opinion regarding the option that this is a security issue (as user is not prompted to approve setup ONLY from DVD)
In addition, The files being run as the prerequisites are msi files, and I chose the option: copy from source media.
But I can see during the install 2 setup.exe files in the TEMP folder under the same folder of the main application, And not msi files.

Thanks for any help you may reach...
Sharon.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The dialog you describe is from Windows, and occurs before the setup is launched. After you click yes, it should have no effect. However running from removable media can change the behavior of certain items - it's not unusual for multi-disc installs to be delivered on removable media, and in that case they need to function differently to enable swapping discs.

That said, I've never seen this early-return behavior from msiexec; are you sure the simultaneous installs are a raw .msi file prerequisite and your main installation's .msi?
0 Kudos
sharon
Level 5

Hi,

all 3 installers are msi.
As the 2 prerequsiites are 3rd party, I knew that on some machines users will get the note: would you like to run.... due to security issues. As this is a 3rd party, the creator of it is unidentified and our customers might fear from installing it. I tried to prevent that by signing the main installer with our signature. The note shown to users that run main installer from network is shown after they have selected the feature that has the prerequisites under, and it is not shown in case we run the installation from DVD. it is saying: would you like to run setup.exe of the MAIN installer.

Do you have an idea how can I solve this issue?
0 Kudos