cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbarlow
Level 7

Error 1328.Error applying patch file...

Project: Basic MSI

I created a minor update through the patch design window and there were only four changes: a new registry entry, two new program files, and a file to be removed. When I build the patch, I get 0 errors and 0 warnings. When I run the patch, I get the error "Error 1328:Error applying patch file...." If I click ignore, the registry entry is added, the file I wanted to remove is gone, and one of the two files I wanted to update is updated. The other (the actual program executable) is unchanged. I can't figure out why this one file isn't updated, especially when I get 0 errors or warnings when I build the patch. Can anyone help?

It seems like every time I try to build a patch, something goes wrong, and it's different every time. I can't believe how temperamental these patches are, it's ridiculous, and very frustrating.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The 1328 error message continues, "Error applying patch to file [2]. It has probably been updated by other means, and can no longer be modified by this patch..." As a sanity check, could it be that the installed file to be patched has been modified relative to the file used when creating the patch? (See, for example, this Microsoft KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315063, and InstallShield KB article Q107088.)

For testing, does the minor upgrade packaged as a full installation---rather than as a patch---work?

Also, is this the first patch to the product (or to that file, anyway)?
0 Kudos
cbarlow
Level 7

This is the first patch for the project. Turns out when I included the whole file in the patch the error went away. The strange thing is I have an almost identical project (64-bit as opposed to 32-bit) and when I patched the 64-bit, it worked without me having to include the whole file in the patch. I don't quite understand it, but at least I have them both working now.

Thanks.

Clark
0 Kudos
cbarlow
Level 7

I guess I didn't address your other questions...

I saw the Microsoft KB article you linked to, but it seems this refers to an error with Office XP service pack 1. At any rate, I don't believe the file to be patched had changed relative to the new file because I was testing on a Virtual Machine and would run the patch immediately after installing the previous full version.

If I remember correctly, running the patch as a full installation did work. Like I said, the problem is fixed now, so I don't even think I have the bad patch file stored anywhere to test with. Thanks for your response.

Clark
0 Kudos
Arun_Kumar_K
Level 2

Hi,

1. Extract the released installer files, and copy them to the relavent folder before creating the base uncompressed.
2. This error is due to the different time stamp of the files that are in released installer and the files that are in uncompressed installer.

I mean if you have re compiled the base installer (rebuild) after the date of the release, the base installer has different time stamp then the files of latest compiled.

Regards,
Arun Kumar K
0 Kudos
minu_v
Level 2

Hi

I think I have this problem - with the compressed installers. But I'm not sure if I understand the fix you mentioned above.

I have always kept the same base. I only update the base with new files for every patch - and I built the new installer with these base files+new files. Then I do the patch diff between the original installer and the new installer - to get the new patch.

Its been working fine for the first 4-5 patches. But now I'm seeing this error in the last two. And it happens during installation of the patch.

Let me know about your fix.

Thanks,
Minu
0 Kudos