cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saurabhbagchi
Level 2

Error 1316 and 1603 during uninstallation after upgrade

I have an Install Script msi installer prepared in InstallShield 2009 in Windows XP environment. Now I have upgraded the same installer using InstallShield 2021 R2 in Windows 10 environment. All details remain same (product Code, Product Name, Upgrade Code, Package code). Both are licensed version.

In windows 10 environment I installed the application prepared by the installer 2009. After that I upgrade the application using the installer prepared by 2021R2 (upgrade of the installer prepared in install shield 2009).

The upgrade happens without any problem. But during uninstallation I encountered the error "1316 - The specified account already exists". Clicking OK getting the error "1603 - Fatal error during installation. Consult windows installer help MSI.chm or MSDN for more information".

Appreciate any resolution to the issue.

Regards,

Saurabh

0 Kudos
(1) Reply
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

If you are attempting to install the new 2021R2 installer on top of the 2009 installer, then you will need to modify the 2021R2 project to author an upgrade correctly.

Simply rebuilding the same project and expecting it to automatically upgrade the previous one will unfortunately mostly always result in issues.

Try making the following changes in the 2021R1 project to create a Major Upgrade:

1. Change the ProductCode
2. Increase the Product Version (use only the first 3 fields)
3. Change the PackageCode
4. Make sure the UpgradeCode is the same and the 2009 installer
5. Within the Upgrades view add a Major Upgrade Item.
6. Rebuild and re-test the upgrade.

A detailed walk through for Major Upgrades can be found here:
https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Create-a-Major-Upgrade/ta-p/3879

Cheers,
Stuart

0 Kudos