cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stu_farish
Level 3

Error 1001. Installer Was Working, Now Isn't

I have multiple projects, in separate solutions that are Windows Services written in C# using VS2012 and VS2013. InstallShield LE is the installer.

These are projects that have been through QA and deployed, the installers worked. the ones built in the past still do. However, if I rebuild the projects now and run the installer, it will die.

It runs long enough to create the folder & copy files into it. then it produces a dialog that says only "Error 1001." with no other information. I click on OK and it produces another dialog, same message. I click OK. the folder it created is deleted and installation fails.

there have been no code changes. No changes to anything in the install project. simply get it from TFS, build it & watch it not install.

If I simply run the last copy of the installer that was checked into TFS, it installs fine.

This pattern is identical with 2 solutions that I've checked. I haven't been able to find anything about this that has worked. I'm guessing that somewhere, some setting has been changed but it's not at the project or solution level, as this repeats in both VS2012 and VS2013.

A clean install of VS2013 and InstallShield LE on a laptop works fine.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(13) Replies
JSClark
Level 6

Have you checked the installer log file to see what file is causing the error? If you search these forums for "1001" you'll get a lot of hits.
0 Kudos
stu_farish
Level 3

I have no idea where any such logs might be. I've looked but haven't found them.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

You may have luck changing what version of .NET you reference in Tools > Options. Referencing the 4.6 framework can result in a 1001 (fixed in late 2015 releases), and that could have changed outside of your project.
0 Kudos
stu_farish
Level 3

While I now have 4.6 installed, the build targets 4.0,. always has & this has not changed.

The laptop on which it still works has 4.5 installed. I think the desktop got 4.6 when I installed VS2015.
0 Kudos
stu_farish
Level 3

All I can find is in the Event log:

The description for Event ID 11001 from source MsiInstaller cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Product: GTL.Systems.Notification.BLDCProcess_Installer v1.0.0.0 -- Error 1001.
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)
(NULL)

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table
0 Kudos
stu_farish
Level 3

Well, if I can't fix it I can't use it. Time to go to another installer.

MS has brought back the old setup & deployment templates. I've tested them in 2013 & they work.
0 Kudos
vsUSer69
Level 2

I am having the exact same issue.. I have MANY VS2012 service projects that used to work just fine.. Now, all of a sudden the service projects wont install anywhere.. Error "1001" with nothing else..

Did you find a solution?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
stu_farish
Level 3

I have no only not found a solution but the problem is increasing.

I have a work laptop that I rarely use. I found that I could build solutions on that & the installer would build & work. On Friday Windows downloaded & installed some updates & now that PC is getting the 1001 error when I run the installer.

I've spent hours removing all updates installed on of after 05/06/2016 but that didn't fix the problem.

I hate microsoft...
0 Kudos
stu_farish
Level 3

Unless someone has something to suggest, I'm at the point of deciding to go to the wix installer & just being done with this.
0 Kudos
stu_farish
Level 3

This project is a Windows service. If I uncheck the Installer Class on the COM &.NET Settings tab on the properties page, it will install. However, it does not show up in my services, so there is no way to start or stop the service.

The installer I build Friday morning, with this checked, installs just fine. after a bunch of Windows updates were installed on Friday, with no changes to the solution of any sort, the installer built after those updates will not longer complete the installation.
0 Kudos
stu_farish
Level 3

It looks like I've worked out the cause and 2 ways to fix this problem. I'll post more on this later.
0 Kudos
stu_farish
Level 3

It seems that this problem is caused by some issue between InstallShield2013 and .NET 4.6. Windows Update installed .NET 4.6.1. Uninstalling this and doing a repair install of VS2013 has this issue corrected. VS2013 with InstallShield2013 will now build the installer and the installer completes the installation. This has been tested on Win Server 2003 32 bit as well as Win7-64.

Uninstalling .NET 4.6.1 (and possibly some of the other updates) caused VS2013 to be unable to load.Doing a repair install fixed that. This could also cause issues with other installed apps.

Another fix is to upgrade to InstallShield2015. In my case, I did so by opening VS2015 and choosing to create a new InstallShield LE project. When doing so for the first time, VS takes you to a web page to get InstallShield. Once installed it's ready to use.

I created a dummy InstallShield LE project by itself that was not realted to any other project, just to get the newer version installed.

I did this on my desktop PC, which has .NET 4.6.1 installed. Once InstallShield2015 was installed, I opened an existing solution that has an InstallShield 2013 installer projectwith VS2013, NOT VS2015. It detected that the InstallShield project had been created with an earlier version and prompted me to convert it to the newer version, which I allowed. I then rebuild the solution, including the InstallShield installer.

This installer now works correctly.
0 Kudos
mvijaykumarredd
Level 2

I am also facing same issue.please provide solution for below issue.
I created Visual Studio 2013 Windows Application with .Net 4.5 frame work. In This solution I added new class file Installer class file.
Sample Code:
namespace WindowsFormsApplication1
{
[RunInstaller(true)]
public class AddinInstaller : Installer
{
#region Base Implementation
private System.ComponentModel.IContainer components = null;
protected override void Dispose(bool disposing)
{
if (disposing && (components != null))
{
components.Dispose();
}
base.Dispose(disposing);
}
private void InitializeComponent()
{
components = new System.ComponentModel.Container();
}
#endregion

public AddinInstaller()
{
InitializeComponent();
}
public override void Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
{
try
{
base.Install(stateSaver);
Debugger.Launch();

Assembly Asm = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly();
FileInfo asmFile = new FileInfo(Asm.Location);

}
catch (InstallException ex)
{
throw new InstallException(ex.Message);
}
catch
{
throw new InstallException("Error installing addin!");
}
}

public override void Uninstall(IDictionary savedState)
{
try
{

}
catch
{

}

base.Uninstall(savedState);
}
}
}

Now I created new Install Shiled Project with 2015LE with .Net 4.0 frame wok.
I checked the Installer Class checkbox on the COM & .NET Settings tab on the Properties window of the Primary Output file.
Once done build and I am installing this setup. I got This error "1001".
Please provide solution for this one.
Thank you.
0 Kudos