cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reureu
Level 10

Editing InstallScript files in Notepad++

Hi all,

As I really hate the buggy InstallScript editor of InstallShield, especially the Find and Replace functionalities, I am quite tempted to use Notepad++ instead.
Moreover, the InstallScript editor really lacks a "Find in files" or a "Find in project" functionality.

I am just wondering if anyone has defined a user language configuration for InstallScript on Notepad++.

Regards
Labels (1)
(19) Replies
ch_eng
Level 7

Using the included C++/C# language helps a little. It doesn't contain all the InstallScript keywords but helps when making minor edits. I agree that having an InstallScript language definition for Notepad++ would be helpful.

HTH
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

Are you tempted to spend a few hours configuring it? 🙂

I also set the Language to "Pascal" from time to time as InstallScript has got a
few things in common with it.
0 Kudos
DemonPiggies
Level 7

Bump because I found one! It's an initial draft (and not mine) but if we add to it (either in this thread or elsewhere) I think we can get it added to Notepad++'s User Defined Language Files page

Language page here:
https://github.com/bdimych/npp-InstallScript-language

This repository doesn't exist any more unfortunately. There is an installscript.zip file attached to this message that I have used and it provides a good start

0 Kudos
ch_eng
Level 7

Thanks for the link, DemonPiggies. The color scheme is a bit strange and built-in functions aren't highlighted in a different color (not sure if that's possible) but definitely a good start!

Thanks!
0 Kudos
DemonPiggies
Level 7

😄 Your welcome!

Yeah in the past 15 minutes I've changed the color scheme to closer resemble a VS/InstallShield enviroment and added at least 30 more InstallScript/Shield methods.

Please feel free to add any function prototypes, keywords, etc to this thread. I want to compile a large list and submit it to the Notepad++ team But I'll submit my last version here for everyone's approval.
0 Kudos
Ray_Portrait
Level 6

Hi,

I am trying to do the same for my Notepad++, did you ever get this working properly? If so could you please point me to where I can find these settings?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

Just copy the userDefineLang.xml file to your "%APPDATA%\Notepad++\" folder and restart Notepad++.
If such a file already exists, then you might have to merge it with the one you downloaded.
That's it!

You should then have an extra "InstallScript" entry in the "Language" menu.

Files with the .RUL extention are then automatically opened with the right Language.
0 Kudos
DemonPiggies
Level 7

Ray_Portrait wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to do the same for my Notepad++, did you ever get this working properly? If so could you please point me to where I can find these settings?

Thanks

Like Reureu said put this attached file into your AppData folder. This only has the InstallScript so if you have other custom languages then you'll have to add this manually.

Surprisingly, this does not exist on github or I couldn't find it anywhere else by google either. Can you upload it on github? Or I can do that so it can easily be found and updated too.

0 Kudos
Ray_Portrait
Level 6

Thanks guys for your input. I prefer the colour mapping from the zip file you sent me. The only thing that doesn't seem to work for me is the colouring of the /* block comments */. Is this a known issue or am I missing something?
0 Kudos
DemonPiggies
Level 7

Yeah I haven't gotten that to work either. I don't really use those in my code so it's not been a huge problem. But when I initially tried the only way the comment would change color was if it was all one unbroken line. If the comment was multi-lined then the first line would be colored but the rest wouldn't.

Not sure if bug or I was not entering the comment characters correctly. If you find a work around of the correct setting please let me know.

There's tons of keywords I never added beucase I never used them or are unaware of them so if you update the keyword, or method lists please post it.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Ray_Portrait
Level 6

Ok, we unfortunately do quite a bit of block commenting so might have to spend some time to figure it out and I will definitely update this thread!
0 Kudos
ch_eng
Level 7

It looks like you cannot have the "*" or "/" characters in the "Activated operators" list in order to use /* and */ for the comment block.

HTH
0 Kudos
DemonPiggies
Level 7

uuuuuuuuhhh you might see places where I was trying to correctly add "/*" (and other things), But I don't know the np++ format for settings all those. I tried looking at the c++ one but that was months ago and haven't had the time (or enough asprin handy) to figure it out. The page I was reading about adding a custom was not well formatted but it was the most comprehensive/easiest to read that I could find at the time.
0 Kudos
ch_eng
Level 7

DemonPiggies wrote:
uuuuuuuuhhh you might see places where I was trying to correctly add "/*" (and other things).

Right - you were close. Try this one.
DemonPiggies
Level 7

You are awesome!
0 Kudos
DemonPiggies
Level 7

I realize that I left out division but removing "*" leaves math operators unstylized. Is there a code for both/either of those such as one the one of "&" (being "&")? I like having the math operators colored.
0 Kudos
ch_eng
Level 7

DemonPiggies wrote:
I realize that I left out division but removing "*" leaves math operators unstylized. Is there a code for both/either of those such as one the one of "&" (being "&")? I like having the math operators colored.

My guess is "no" for user-defined languages. If you try adding / to the Activated operators, even your 1-line comments won't show the "correct" color. The built-in languages (example: C#) may have access to stylizing that user-defined languages cannot use. That's just a guess.

HTH
0 Kudos