cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

Editing IniFile table - Before or After Build....

This may be a little confusing so I'll try to be as clear as possible.

We have a little widget that end users can use to basically shove some customer specific INI values into the IniFile table. Here are some IniFile table record examples that hopefully illustrate this...

IniFile FileName DirProperty Key
default_Color165 default.c2t AVWIN1 Color165
default_Color165_Pro default.c2t AVWINPRO Color165

I didn't show all fields, just those involved in my situation.

The widget does all of its work based on the IniFile value, which was modified in Wise. Now that we build with InstallShield, the values for that field are IniTableKey### so our widget no longer works.

I'm wondering if I could automate some type of change to this table. Something like...

Where FileName = default.c2t
If Directory = AVWIN1 then
set IniFile = FileName (- .c2t of course) & "_" & Key
If Directory = AVWINPRO then
set IniFile = FileName & "_" & Key & "_pro"

I was thinking that during my build script I could use the automation interface to do something like this.

Is it possible. Or can I somehow modify my .ism template? The only reason I would think doing it post install build would be that any additions to these .c2t files would be handled. Otherwise I would have to remember to run whatever script is devised to update the .ism again.

Let me know if you have any questions or if this can be done.

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Matthias1967
Level 5

Hi Superfreak,

I hope I have understood your issues...

InstallShield uses some default keys for the IniFile table, however, you can overwrite those keys in the Direct Editor to something more meaningful to you. The InstallShield Automation Interface, on the other hand, does not support automatically editing the IniFile Table, so automating an IniFile task should be done in the final MSI.

However, things the end user can do should be done at run-time (Custom Actions?), not at build time.

Best regards

Matthias
0 Kudos