Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sasaurab
Level 3

ERROR 2732:DIRECTORY MANAGER NOT INITIALIZED

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am new to install shield.I am using 2016 version of installshield.

While i try to downgrade my application,after the successfully throwing error.while clicking on finish wizard i am getting error 2732.Directory manager not intialized.please find the attachment of my error.

Please provide me step to step solution.I am new to this.

0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Hi sasaurab,

Just to understand you case and reproduce the above mentioned error, i did the following:

Basic MSI Project (V1.0.0.0)
 1. Added File
 2. Create Release 1

Basic MSI Project (V2.0.0.0)
 1. Change the version to 2.0.0.0 under General Information.
 2. No change in  File & Folder
 3. Added Prerequisites.
 4. Create Release 2

Install Release 2 (first) and then try to install Release 1.

You should see 2 popups :
1. "This setup will perform an upgrade of '<Product>'. Do you want to continue ?" -- (select YES)
2. "A later version of '<Product>' is already installed on this machine. This setup cannot continue." 
Are you getting this messages before you see "RROR 2732" ?

After this the setup exist gracefully, in my case.

Let me know if you are performing additional steps which I am missing.

Regards,
Utsab

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(8) Replies
UtsabKarmakar
Level 5 Flexeran
Level 5 Flexeran

Hi,

This error message is displayed by the Microsoft Windows Installer engine.

The following are the known causes for this error:
  1. The custom action Source directory identifier is incorrect.
  2. A custom action is referring to a Directory variable before the CostFinalize action has run.

The following solutions have resolved this error in the majority of cases:
  1.  Please verify that the correct name for the MSI directory variable used to identify the Windows System directory is SystemFolder, without the space.
  2.  Sequence custom actions using Directory properties following the CostFinalize action.

KB Article : https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge/Windows-Installer-Error-2732/ta-p/4728?advanced=false&collapse_discussion=true&filter=location&location=category:Flexera_Software_Community&q=%22-2732%22&search_type=thread

For further details please see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Msi/windows-installer-error-messages

Regards,
Utsab

0 Kudos
i have tried this not able to find anything. Let me tell you my scenario,i am trying to install downgrade version of my installer on upgrade version,it throws the error "a newer version is already installed" but after click to next button,Installation wizard opens with the interrupted message.I just click finish,then i got this error "ERROR-2732-DIRECTORY MANAGER NOT INITIALIZED". Please send me the solutions.you help will be much appreciated.
0 Kudos

Hi sasaurab,

It will be helpful if you can provide further details on how you are configuring the project before and after.
What I mean is what is the configuration for version 1.0.0.0 and version 2.0.0.0 ?

Thanks

0 Kudos

The configuration is same in both version.In .ism file also nothing has changed except i have added some prerequisites.But still have facing issue while downgrade my installer.

0 Kudos

Hi sasaurab,

Just to understand you case and reproduce the above mentioned error, i did the following:

Basic MSI Project (V1.0.0.0)
 1. Added File
 2. Create Release 1

Basic MSI Project (V2.0.0.0)
 1. Change the version to 2.0.0.0 under General Information.
 2. No change in  File & Folder
 3. Added Prerequisites.
 4. Create Release 2

Install Release 2 (first) and then try to install Release 1.

You should see 2 popups :
1. "This setup will perform an upgrade of '<Product>'. Do you want to continue ?" -- (select YES)
2. "A later version of '<Product>' is already installed on this machine. This setup cannot continue." 
Are you getting this messages before you see "RROR 2732" ?

After this the setup exist gracefully, in my case.

Let me know if you are performing additional steps which I am missing.

Regards,
Utsab

0 Kudos
The last dialouge it says "can't continue with installer" i need to click on 'Finish' button to close the dialogue. after that it trows 2732 error
0 Kudos
Thanks you very much for your help.Anyway we are skipping this one for now.
0 Kudos
Hi, It looks like recurring issues,so i need to fix this.Please provide solution.
0 Kudos