cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liutenitza
Level 3

Dynamic files not removed when uninstalled by Control Panel

Hello,
I've created an installer containing one feature with 2 components - one of them contains dynamically linked folder.  Everything is installed correctly, but when I uninstall the product from the control panel, the dynamic folder and it's content are not being removed. However, if I install the data again and try to uninstall it using the setup.exe, it removes everything correctly.

Do you have any suggestion why setup.exe and Control Panel->Uninstall Programs might work differently? I'm using InstallShield 2019.

I noticed that when I change the attribute of the dynamic folder from "by directory" to "best practice", it worked for one of the packages, but did not work for others, which is very odd. Also, this inconsistency is spotted only when using dynamic files.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
liutenitza
Level 3

A slight update: It seems that this is not related only to dynamic files. I think it happens when the installer runs without UI - it fails to obtain the install directory. Installing without UI puts the files directly in C:\ (instead of the pre-defined location); Still can't find out what does uninstall without UI do...

0 Kudos

Which project type is your installation ? Basic msi, InstallScript msi or InstallScript ?

regards

Markus

0 Kudos

Hi @liutenitza ,

Can you enable log during installation and un-installation and check what goes wrong?

If possible can you attach here?

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

The project is basic msi.

I ran the installation and uninstallation via cmd.exe and attached the UI install log and the quiet uninstall log - this is the most probable combination that will be used.

The dataset should be installed in C:\MYSOFTWARE_COUNTRY19V1\. However, the quiet install/uninstall use C:\ instead. Therefore,  when we install the data through the UI it goes on the correct place, but when we uninstall it quietly, InstallShield tries to remove it from a different location.

Don't know how to view the log when uninstall from the Control Panel - which doesn't seem to remove anything - for some reason it works differently than the cmd's quiet uninstallation.

0 Kudos

Where/ How do you set that the dataset should be installed in C:\MYSOFTWARE_COUNTRY19V1\ ?

I ask because the installation sequences are different for interactive install and silent install.

regards

Markus

0 Kudos

The installation directory is a combination of PREVIOUS_DATA_LOCATION and ExpDataVersion.

It's strange that it works perfectly both ways for installers created with an older version of InstallShield. But when I create identical ISM file from scratch and build it with IS 2019, the new installer doesn't work well in silent mode, even though the UI sequence and execute sequence are identical to the old ISM.

0 Kudos