cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Japster24
Level 6

DuplicateFile table using GAC

hello,

My installer has grown very large b/c of file duplication. Some of our DLL's are in two places (local and GAC or local and system32 folders). How can I use the DuplicateFile table or other IS mechanism (installscript?) to duplicate the file in the GAC? It's the same file that needs to be copied to two locations but I only want it in the installer once because of its size.

My project type is actually Installscript MSI.

Hopefully my request is clear. Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Japster24
Level 6

Anyone have any ideas here???
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi There,

If I recall correctly, the DuplicateFile table doesn't work with a component targeted towards the GAC (in the docs it says, "The original file must be a file installed by the InstallFiles action.", but with the GAC, it's MsiPublishAssemblies).

So, probably the way to handle this would be to just install your assemblies locally and invoke gacutil.exe from your script for each assembly that needs to go to the GAC. You'll need to probably also store some information on these so you can handle uninstall as well.
0 Kudos
Japster24
Level 6

Thanks cary.

I ended up calling the gacutil.exe in my installscript msi (since installing mostly to developers machines with our distro).

-jp
0 Kudos
mumbles
Level 7

Ah Dev machines, i was going to say.... gacutil has been yanked from regular user machines. No longer a good idea to use gacutil. I think a lot of us got burnt on that one. Mostly because we didn't follow then 'Macrovision's' proper way of doing it.
0 Kudos