cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rita_m
Level 2

Driver installation in installshiled premier

Hi,

I am trying to install a driver using the device driver wizard in a basic MSI project but the installer does a rolling back and the driver is not installed. Is there another way to install a driver? I have another driver in my project which is installed correctly. The driver that i am not able to install is FTDI driver.

Thank you,
Rita
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Evan_Border
Level 8

Rita_m wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to install a driver using the device driver wizard in a basic MSI project but the installer does a rolling back and the driver is not installed. Is there another way to install a driver? I have another driver in my project which is installed correctly. The driver that i am not able to install is FTDI driver.

Thank you,
Rita

Log the MSI install and carefully review the log. It probably will wind up saying that an expected driver file was missing. Microsoft's Driver Install Framework (DIFx) reads the driver's .inf file and any file mentioned in there is verified, even if they aren't used in certain scenarios. For example, your driver may have info for both the x86 and x64 flavor, but obviously it won't be using the x86 files when you install it on 64-bit Windows. But you still must include every file, otherwise DIFx will error-out and you'll experience a rollback.

Anyways, log the MSI install and read it carefully (I think you can search for DIFx and view a few lines above and below it to see the error).
0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

For the FTDI driver, which files do you include in your project?
When you download the FTDI Driver from their website, they deliver a complete setup package(with their installer).
I call their installer from my installer project to be sure the driver(s) is(are) correctly installed.

I download the drivers from: http://www.ftdichip.com/
0 Kudos
Rita_m
Level 2

Christoph wrote:
For the FTDI driver, which files do you include in your project?
When you download the FTDI Driver from their website, they deliver a complete setup package(with their installer).
I call their installer from my installer project to be sure the driver(s) is(are) correctly installed.

I download the drivers from: http://www.ftdichip.com/

I included the ftdibus and ftdiport inf files and all the files the inf needs.

I solved the problem and the drivers installed successfully.

Thank you 🙂
0 Kudos