cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abansal2909
Level 2

Does install shield allow these

Hi,

I am new to install shield and we are evaluating if install shield can be used to meet our requirements.

1. Is it possible with install shield to create custom User interfaces? If yes, can they be dynamic where-in the install shield will make a server call to our servers and render the UI based on SOAP XML response?

2. Does install shield allow data to be captured from the custom user interfaces based on the user response and send the data back to our server.

3. Can the data as entered by users be saved into reg keys?

Thanks,
Anu
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
DLee65
Level 13

abansal2909 wrote:
Hi,

I am new to install shield and we are evaluating if install shield can be used to meet our requirements.

1. Is it possible with install shield to create custom User interfaces? If yes, can they be dynamic where-in the install shield will make a server call to our servers and render the UI based on SOAP XML response?

2. Does install shield allow data to be captured from the custom user interfaces based on the user response and send the data back to our server.

3. Can the data as entered by users be saved into reg keys?

Thanks,
Anu

1. It is possible to create a custom UI with InstallShield. I suspect that for your scenario you would need to create a custom action DLL that will get the SOAP XML response and set a property or properties based upon the response. There is a limit I suspect to what you can do. For instance I can customize text based on a user's system, but I cannot change the images. So if you want customized images, I am not sure if that is possible. I have never had to explore that area myself. Text is highly flexible, the ability to show or hide certain dialog pages or controls on certain pages can be tied to the value of properties handed back by your installation.

2. All responses from the UI is captured. You can associate all the required information with properties and then run a custom action to send that information to your server.

3. All user responses can be recorded in the registry. Again, you will utilize property values to set these values.
0 Kudos