cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
mahmed79
Level 3

Does InstallShield 2020 uses msihnd.dll library

Blackduck scan for one of our projects created using InstallShield 2020 indicates that it uses an outdated version of msihnd.dll(2005 version). Can you please confirm whether installshield 2020 uses msihnd.dll file?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @mahmed79,

Thank you for your post.

Sorry about the delayed response.

Based on my research, it appears that the msihnd.dll library is part of the Windows Installer technology created, implemented, and maintained only by Microsoft. I believe that this DLL would be used in Windows-Installer-based (MSI-based) setups of the project type Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

0 Kudos

When we select the project type as Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI, From which location does it include msihnd.dll library? Will this library be a part of InstallShield 2020 IDE or it will include the library from the system were the InstallShield 2020 IDE is installed? 

0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply.

I would expect that that DLL is used just like with Windows Installer itself. My understanding is that the Basic MSI type installer or InstallScript MSI type installer (Windows Installer installer) uses the Windows Installer engine found on the target machine where your product is being installed. So I would also expect that the copy of the DLL on the target machine would be used as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

0 Kudos