cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johan007
Level 3

Does InstallShield 2009 Express support 64-bit Windows?

Does InstallShield 2009 Express support 64-bit Windows?

Can I install a 64-bit resource into the system folder on a 64-bit system using InstallShield 2009 Express?

Can it be that Acresso sells a product that doesn't work for x64 Vista, without telling anything about it in the product specifications?

Please tell me I am wrong...
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

InstallShield Express editions do not expose any Windows Installer functionality for building 64-bit MSI packages (please see the feature comparison at http://www.acresso.com/products/installation/installshield.htm). Creating an installation that is 64-bit requires access to individual component settings. Express abstracts components out of the install creation process to allow for a simpler experience of creating installations.
0 Kudos
Johan007
Level 3

Ok, I now understand that InstallShield Express cannot do a basic file copy install on Vista to the System32 folder.

This is very close to not delivering any functionality at all.

Earlier versions of Express has been able to do a file copy to mainstream Windows version. This basic feature has now been disabled. Maybe you should be a lot clearer about that. You are clearly fooling someone, the customer to start with, but maybe yourself in your long run.

Another option is to fix this major bug in Express, or present a suitable workaround.

An installation program that cannot copy files... that is something...
0 Kudos
bppatel
Level 3

joshstechnij wrote:
InstallShield Express editions do not expose any Windows Installer functionality for building 64-bit MSI packages (please see the feature comparison at http://www.acresso.com/products/installation/installshield.htm). Creating an installation that is 64-bit requires access to individual component settings. Express abstracts components out of the install creation process to allow for a simpler experience of creating installations.

I am migrating from IS 11.5 to 2009 and I would like to know if InstallShield 2009 Premier Version has 64-bit windows support or we still have to use 32bit installer to install on win 64 bit and change the registry keys manually?
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

To install 64-bit registry entries or files, the components containing these resources in the project need to have their "64-Bit Component" options set to Yes, and the Template Summary in General Information | Summary Information Stream must be set to use a 64-bit platform (x64 for AMD64/Intel EM64T or Intel64 for Itanium). Note that this applies to MSI projects; InstallScript projects operate mostly the same as they did in IS 11.5 with regards to 64-bit support.
0 Kudos